$50 paint job write up

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
mg89 said:
hey, this is cool, I think I might do this. Where'd you get the paint?

Have you read the other thread on this topic yet? If not, I would advise you to do so because there are links in there that will greatly help your efforts.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
tomjan87 said:
thats not a bad idea for the engine bay is it. you in theory could do it with the little foam brush and everything would be good.

For an engine bay cheap job I suggest the cheap Duplicolor High heat resistant paint Flat black. or what ever color just flat

you also wanna prep the engine bay also with 400 or 320.

dscn2427xa1.jpg

Thats how mine came out I'm happy

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well tonight I finished the final 6th coat pictures will be taken in the mourning before and after the buffing and wet sanding.

Last edited:

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
can't wait to see them, I think I'm gonna start painting mine during spring break when it gets warmer.

edit: the stock rims are paintable with rustoleum using the same methods right?

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
wow this is looking great, im trying it on my supra as well, for now its just a little spot on the roof of the car til i get the hang of it, 1st coat doesnt look to bad, i think i got a decent mixture. i will start my own thread soon as i get the whole car sanded and everything, just wanted to say your car is lookin awesome and its encouraging.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
im doing a fender just to see the results but mine bubbled up really bad and they didnt pop. its like 50 degrees outside. so is it the temp or possibly the paint being to thick that would cause these bubles

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
mg89 said:
can't wait to see them, I think I'm gonna start painting mine during spring break when it gets warmer.

edit: the stock rims are paintable with rustoleum using the same methods right?

From what i know and what I have read in other fourms that rustoleum will stick to anything so my answer would be yes.

Im sooo gonna do this when i get my new engine put in i can't wait!!!

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
supraguru i think your paint being to thick would be the cause. mine is pretty thin just a little thicker then water and i had a few bubbles but not many and they all popped, the ones that didnt pop i lightly (the weight of the roller) rolled over the bubbles and the first coat looks good, smooth and no orange peel, im going to cover up that spot and sand the rest of my car tonight and tomorrow

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Sounds about right to me you need more to mix more mineral spirits in your paint.

Still not done yet waiting for morning to finish polishing.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
thanks guys thats what i was thinking it was. i think its just flat to cold outside right now. i painted in between 40-50 degree weather so i think its a combination. for a reference im already at 66% paint 33% mineral spirits

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Wetsanded A little bit to much and when you have the right mix you wont have orange peal or to much orange peal any way a little bit is fine.

Also do not use a high speed buffer if you do make sure its on lowest speed.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
To all the people doing this roll and paint thing... I highly recommend marine boat paint... You will get more depth and shine with it! Or at least that is what I've been reading/hearing on other forums.