$50 paint job write up

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
All right we've all herd of this $50 and being a body man well at least in school to become one I decided to give this Rustolem paint job a shot.

Supply's

A gallon of Rustolem paint in the can, not spray paint
4" professional FOAM rollers High density
Little foam brush
Jug of mineral spirits
Sand Paper 400grit 600grit 800grit 1500grit

First you want to prep the car for paint.

I Sanded the car down with 400 grit sand paper make sure its smooth to the touch.

dscn2429si6.jpg

dscn2430ru3.jpg

Then your going to want to wash the car with dish soap to get all the dirt and grease from your skin off the car.

Next when your ready to paint your going to much the paint with mineral spirits there is no mix ratio it all depends on the temperature of the area, Just mix the paint with the spirits till its a little thicker then water.

First 2 coats look like this

dscn2431zp0.jpg

dscn2433zl1.jpg

dscn2432xt8.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics my camera is gay.

more pics tomorrow after the wet sand and another two coats

I must say its better then the flat black paint job.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
cool, make sure you get lots of pictures (try to clean them up a bit by changing the flash setting... because it looks like it's set to take the picture then use the flash to fill the background (usually a symbol of a figure with a star behind them)... make sure the flash is just on auto, should provide a sharper picture.

Anyways, it's nice to see somebody trying this out!

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
MUCH better than flat black.

Where did you find it? Lowes right?

It's really going to take a lot of sanding to make it shine like a clearcoated paint job, being black, but I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck!

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well I was saving up for a real paint job but I just got laid off and thought might as well experiment with this thing and I'm happy with it.

Lows and Home Depot will have it.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
im going to try this $50 paint job also. By the looks of it, its wortha shot.
If it works out that good i could use the money somewhere else. It doesnt then ill bite the wallet and get it painted at a shop.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Looking good so far. Make sure to take your time wet sanding the early steps because it gets harder to make it smooth as you progress. If you arent already, ass some dish soap to your water bucjet for wet sanding...you will notice a differance. Also, try to wet sand in one direction with the initial grit of paper, then wet sand the next grit perpendicular to the first. This will help you to see if you have sanded enough.

You might also want to tape off the face of your wheels...I'd hate to see some paint drip onto them.

Please post your results. You picked the hardest colour possible but it could yield some great results. Make sure to take your time at all steps because the more time spent, the better the finished product will be.

What are your plans for polishing? Do you have a polisher or do you plan on doing it by hand? I believe that you can yield far greater results with a polisher and a proper polish can make up for some minor paint issues.

Good luck

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Only a Supra would require Rustoleum for a paint job :rofl: . Good work so far. Try to use a tripod or prop the camera against a wall or something when taking your pics. I've found that helps out, as my camera doesn't compensate well for my shaky hand either.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
If your camera phone is the only camera you have. Get a 35mm one use camera at CVS or Wallgreens. They even have 1 time use digitals now. Take pics as you go and get a cd of them when you are all done.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
dscn2446kq1.jpg

Ill take better pics in the morning this is the best I can do.

but for polishing I got smart cut stereo glaze and clear coat sealant well see when its done

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
This paint job puzzles me!!! In theory I can see how it could look good but I want to see some quality photos to really see what it looks like. I painted a old farm truck for my wifes father with some cheep enamel farm supply store paint. I sprayed it with my priming gun because my tip on that gun is a 1.8, and it was thick paint. Paint, Reducer, Sandpaper and all I think I did it for a hair over $50. Did 3 coats and then buffed it out and it came out like glass. This is why the roller paint job puzzles me!!!! I would like to see what comes out better a rolled job or a cheap enamel farm supply paint job.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Really it all comes down to who preps and spends more time and effort on the process it self. At school I've seen cars that get sprayed with some single stage paint that looks like ass.

Tearlessj

Oct 17, 2006
TN
Im doing this at the same time also, same color and everything. lol Ill get mine done around New Years and will get some very detailed pics. Here are some pics of the white Ek, that was rolled on.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Awesome, the first time I read about this I was thinking WTF, until I finished reading the whole process. Prep work ahead of time is where you get the perfectly straight body work. Water sanding and buffing at the end is where you get the glass looking shine. The paint could care less how it got on the car.........If you put enough coats on, you'll have enough to water sand and buff without burning through.