3P's TCCS Disassembly/Analysis

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Status update on this project. We now have a hardware solution that supports both single and dual processor ECUs (without case mods), so that pretty much covers anything from 86-98 that uses the 64 pin Denso processor outline. Firmware that supports datalogging for these configurations is also complete and running (in my car as well as others).

The focus now is on the development of an application for datalogging and editing of key maps using a simple interface. I've attached a screen capture of a preview of the application showing both the map editing feature (not fully implemented yet) and datalogging for a drive in my car this morning. Still a little buggy.

For the datalogging, the variables being captured are
THW coolant temp (C)
THA intake air temp (C)
B+ battery voltage
VE load
AFM corrected air flow frequency
rpm
inj injector duration (does not include B+ correction)
tim ignition timing BTDC
stft short term fuel trim (32768 is no correction or open loop)

[video=youtube;6yO92GkW8Co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yO92GkW8Co[/video]

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Very nice job, congratulations really;)

Have a question: Will communication protocol of your stuff be released with it?. I will have an HMI integrated in my dashboard, and would love to set it up to handle your ECU modification.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The interface is HID (USB human interface device class). Since the interface is readily snoopable I suspect it would be pointless to try to keep it a secret. I don't know too much about HMI devices, but if they support a HID driver you are pretty much already there.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Ok mr Pi,

Thanks or your answear.

In fact my HMI is going to be a MCU board, based on Arm Stm32f103 (Cortex M3) with an lcd screen.
It will be installed in the dash and will act like onboard computer of modern cars...

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Oups..

I've already bought this one: cgi.ebay.fr/Wang-STM32F103ZET6-board-2-8-LCD-1M-SRAM-128M-flash-/220810049323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item33694df72b

When I've chosen this, I didn't know you would do a daughter board, and thought I would build an op'amp board for analog interface, and an opto/transistor board for digital/power interface. This way I would have build a piggyback...
Now with your project, if I'm able to interface with your hid device, it will be really great.

I think I will look for the Stm MCU you've advised and then use both installed instead of the climate control unit. One for auxiliaries (climate control, windows, mirrors etc..) and one for Ecu monitoring and tuning..

Maybe my project can be merged with your, please let me know (via pm)

Finally, thanks again for all your work and sharing ;-)

++

RolluS

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
nicely done!! is there going to be a buy able kit for the people who can't understand most of this??

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That is the plan. The hardware development is mostly done now, and the focus now has shifted to the application. Post #461 shows a preliminary look at the datalogging capability, and we are focusing on improving that and also adding the on-the-fly map tuning. We have decided the PC application will be open-source. Without an app we still don't have a product that anyone can use easily so it is the long pole in the tent for now.

We would also like to see it ported to other mobile platforms like the Android. The architecture we have selected supports cross-platform development.

Toyoloog

Aug 28, 2011
Purmerend
Just read through the threads over here, BwoTrutal and IMCO.CO.UK about the logging tools and would like to try this for my 4AGE/4AGZE. It's been ages since I did any programming but I'm not to shy about electronics themself. Are there any reader boards available at the moment? I already have the schematics but it'll save me the trouble (and time) of actually making them.

Hats off guys!

Last edited:

Toyoloog

Aug 28, 2011
Purmerend
Indeed they are, I know that you meant anyway. At the moment I have separated the MCU form the board and I'll try to find out the missing pins. It probably means tracing the whole board somehow. It won't be finished any time soon, but then again, I'm not really in a hurry.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Jon, as far as the igniter goes - how much 'control' over dwell is there, and how is it monitored/controlled? All i see is IGf feedback to the ECU, which is a simple 1/0 response to whether the coil has fired or not, correct?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Dwell is set to 30 degrees for low rpm, and 60 degrees at high rpm if advance permits. At high rpm with advanced timing there is not enough time to support 60 deg, so drops back to 30 deg.