300hp at the wheels on a budget.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I figure everyone on this forum is, or once was, on a budget and has tried to figure the cheapest way to get those ponies to the rear wheels. I'd like to hear some opinions on the cheapest way to get 300hp at the wheels, what is needed to do it, and what cost may be.

I would think 300 begs for a little more than intake, exhaust, and a MBC because it's nearing the territory, if not past, where fuel cut becomes an issue on a stock setup. Let's hear some solid feedback (and maybe some insight from anyone who has done it and learned a lesson).

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I agree with CK & Swaq.

I think one point that is not mentioned is that everything on your motor must be in good shape. I've replaced every single major factory hose on my 7mgte. Every hose close to the turbo was baked to a hard plastic material, and if you work on any of them they start to break.

Increasing the power of this motor places stress on everything around it. Do it right, take your time or we will see you in a few weeks talking about throwing in the towel after something breaks, melts of blows. This car is not a mustang, but is very capable of eating them daily.

cwd

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
I thought I could do it on a budget??????? Then 5Grand later it couldnt be done :[ And I still dont have everything I need. But look on the bright side, Acually their really isnt a bright side.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
+1 on that staging guide.

Horses cost some sort of money, if you can't do it now, just wait until later. Besides, once you do some upgrades the chances are you're going to want to go bigger. That too will cost money, and it's not typically something that can be set on a budget. Mmm... money pits.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
300HP can be done on a stock turbo, but you'll need all the supporting mods...

also the car needs to be in good mechanical shape, if you're not sure, then it's not in good shape...

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Poodles said:
300HP can be done on a stock turbo, but you'll need all the supporting mods...

also the car needs to be in good mechanical shape, if you're not sure, then it's not in good shape...

:word8kn:

Stage 0 on the 20yr old car: Replace your old hoses and make sure your engine is healthy..

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I finally made the spreadsheet to find out how much I have spent on my car...it scared me a bit. I have not yet reached the 300 whp mark yet but I think I will clear it after my motor rebuild (I have low compression). The advice these guys are giving you is true. I did all the required maintenance when I bought the car and guess what, I haven't blown a head gasket. I haven't gotten rod knock. My car doesn't leak oil or overheat. It behaves like a normal car. I even suspect the car has been low on compression since before I bought the car.

Without knowing it, I pretty much followed the stages outlined in that post.

Maintenance > Intake > exhaust + DDP > MBC (~10lbs) = 280 rwhp, 340 rwtq

I have since put on some hard pipes and have started collecting parts for a full forged build.

Good luck with your project. Expect it to cost more than you first think.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
suprabad said:
Start by doing a quality rebuild on the motor w/ metal head gasket and go from there.

That way you'll have a solid platform to build on.

Definetley start with this. Make sure the shop knows how good the surfaces have to be and what they are dealing with.

You will need
-3" turbo back exhaust
-Boost controller
-Hardpipes

-Id recommend and aftermarket IC. Even a smaller one is ok it doesnt have to be huge. You will get more out of the stock turbo this way as well.

-550cc injectors/lexus afm. / Or stock injectors, afm with a good FPR. Get the injectors flow tested if you use the stockers. If you choose to go this route you may need some tuning just to make it run decent. The car runs fairly good with 550s/lex without touching anything else. You will need a piggy back computer to fine tune it still.

-Walbro fuel pump. If the stock fuel pump is new it could be ok. But if its original definetly change it.

-Bypass the J-tube on the block where the return lines go. Just run a rubber fuel line past it. Its too restrictive.

you should achieve 300hp at around 14-15psi with the stock turbo.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
87witmoreboost said:
I figure everyone on this forum is, or once was, on a budget and has tried to figure the cheapest way to get those ponies to the rear wheels. I'd like to hear some opinions on the cheapest way to get 300hp at the wheels, what is needed to do it, and what cost may be.

I would think 300 begs for a little more than intake, exhaust, and a MBC because it's nearing the territory, if not past, where fuel cut becomes an issue on a stock setup. Let's hear some solid feedback (and maybe some insight from anyone who has done it and learned a lesson).

where abouts in N.H. do u live in? Just curious cuz i live in ma. :)

Yakuzastinger

will she ever run right?
Dec 18, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i made 310hp 370trq on stock ct26 and stock IC and stock toyota PIPES just a mbc 550's (not needed at all) afc1 lex afpr open stock exhaust just do it if u have another car hammer it when it breaks fix it cheapest way to do it at least if its not broke dont fix it wait until breaks

supradoc

assface
May 7, 2007
Ottawa
spinningheadboy said:
I agree with CK & Swaq.

I think one point that is not mentioned is that everything on your motor must be in good shape. I've replaced every single major factory hose on my 7mgte. Every hose close to the turbo was baked to a hard plastic material, and if you work on any of them they start to break.

Increasing the power of this motor places stress on everything around it. Do it right, take your time or we will see you in a few weeks talking about throwing in the towel after something breaks, melts of blows. This car is not a mustang, but is very capable of eating them daily.

cwd

any suggestions where to get a hose replacement kit?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Yakuzastinger said:
i made 310hp 370trq on stock ct26 and stock IC and stock toyota PIPES just a mbc 550's (not needed at all) afc1 lex afpr open stock exhaust just do it if u have another car hammer it when it breaks fix it cheapest way to do it at least if its not broke dont fix it wait until breaks

I hope your kidding:3d_frown:

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
TuRbOdReAmZ87 said:
where abouts in N.H. do u live in? Just curious cuz i live in ma. :)

I'm in the Salem, NH area.

I know there is plenty of info on it here in the forums, but can the lexus MAF and 550's be bolted on and ran as-is, or is the SAFC needed? Also, at what point are 550's needed? Is it just to support the lexus MAF which eliminates fuel cut?

To begin, I was thinking turbo elbow, downpipe, intake, and MBC at 10psi. I have a friend who made 250rwhp on a stock downpipe and elbow (3" thereafter), intake, mbc @ 10psi, and 155k on the original motor and HG.

Last edited:

j3pz

still learning
87witmoreboost said:
I'm in the Salem, NH area.

I know there is plenty of info on it here in the forums, but can the lexus MAF and 550's be bolted on and ran as-is, or is the SAFC needed? Also, at what point are 550's needed? Is it just to support the lexus MAF which eliminates fuel cut?

To begin, I was thinking turbo elbow, downpipe, intake, and MBC at 10psi. I have a friend who made 250rwhp on a stock downpipe and elbow (3" thereafter), intake, mbc @ 10psi, and 155k on the original motor and HG.
the lex maf just allows more air, and the 550's go along to keep the a/f ratio around what it should be(cant think of the actual term). it is said above that a piggyback is needed to fine tune, but not neccesarry. and i dont think it eliminates fc.

if you get a downpipe, get one that has an elbow incorporated into it, i think you would like this option better.