2jzgte code 42/Idle problems

lucass

Apr 5, 2014
prince george
Hi so a this is not really supra related but pretty close, I have a 86 cressida that I have swapped a 2jzgte into and I am having a couple problems that need sorting out..

There are two problems I am having, some information I have read says they are linked and some do not. So first off the idle issue, It idles cold very well but after warming up it starts to idle fairly inconsistently, sometimes it will be 1000 sometimes 1200 or even 1500 seemingly changing every time I come to a stop, and even when it holds at a given RPM it is not very smooth. Also once in a while (a couple times a day, some days more) it will just die at lights/stopsigns ect. The only code I am getting is 42(no. 1 speed sensor), the code comes up intermittently when I drive at a higher RPM.

First off I will tell you specific details about my engine and what I have tried

-Aristo 2jzgte, front mount, tial BOV, factory ECU, Plugs are gapped to 0.030 BKR7E (90% sure, I can verify), Wiring Specialties universal/race harness.

-TPS brand new, functioning, and adjusted properly as per - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?450071-TPS-Adjustment-Procedure-and-Testing-Procedure/page3
-My IACV is functioning, tested as per the service manual, applying ground and going around the outside connectors or whatever - also swapped with a KNOWN good unit.
Ignitor- swapped out with a known good unit
Plugs are new and in good shape gapped to 0.030 BKR7E -90% sure, I can verify
-Cam position sensors-checked out good as per TSRM
-Crank position sensor-checked out good as per TSRM
-Opened my ECU no obvious problems, and no known working unit anywhere near me.
-Emailed wiring specialties, they have not had this issue before, suggested new ecu

And I will mention this on its own... When I first got the engine in the car and running it was on the stock wiring harness I WAS HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.. Sorry to caps that I just want the wiring specialties harness to be ruled out as the problem. Back to my stock harness, I wired the engine originally following the wilbo666 guide soldering F3 to F7 on the body plug and had the EXACT problems 100% of the time, later I tried clipping those wires, everything stayed the same except it was only throwing the code 42 occasionally. I later swapped harnesses because the factory one was in ridiculously bad shape, needed a lot of new wire and pretty much every connecter.

I will mention this forum post http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/topic/74454-2jzge-intermittent-idle-issues-and-stalling/ because he seems to be having the exact problem I am having and the first response brought up code 42. (the link to a fix is dead and obviously would not work for me since I do not have any of the mkiv supra dash wiring)

At this point I do not know what to try next, other than another ecu... I am sure I there is information here I am forgetting and I will continue to update but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Lucas

SupraGo

Oct 8, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Probably a dumb one, but have you checked the inlet manifold for leaks? A spray bottle with liquid detergent and water mix can turn up some surprises.
FWIW
Bill