2JZ Auto tranny in MKIII?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Anyone got one in their MKIII? Tips, tricks, gotchas?

There are some basic differences, so I'd like to prepare for 'em.. like the rear speed sensors on an MKIV/Aristo (each wheel has one). The MKIII only has 1 speed sensor that uses the average speed of rear wheels.

Also, the driveshafts are different. Could I just replace the tail section of the tranny wit h that of a 7M, to use the stock driveshaft?

Anyways... anything's appreciated. Thanx.

E

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
THANX A GREAT DEAL!!! When I first started to look into this question, I checked Arnout's site and found so many changes (all good) that I couldn't even navigate like before.

I had no idea this was out there. As usual, Arnout's years ahead and still as helpful with these swaps!! Good find, thanx again.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
Satan said:
THANX A GREAT DEAL!!! When I first started to look into this question, I checked Arnout's site and found so many changes (all good) that I couldn't even navigate like before.

I had no idea this was out there. As usual, Arnout's years ahead and still as helpful with these swaps!! Good find, thanx again.

Is Arnout using the casing from the MK3 or 2JZ? It looks like he's using the MK3 casing to me, right?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Hmmmm now that you ask, I can't really tell. Tho I believe you end up with 2J's bellhousing/body, but the "tail" is that from the 7M tranny.

Looks like a PITA and he says "Let's hope it works!!!!" I sure wish I knew for sure, before I start tearing things apart. I'll have to email him later today and see. This seems simple enough tho, that maybe I can have a shop do it for me (maybe a few hours of labor, if I bring in the trannies?).

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
someone replied to the post on SF about this... they had the driveshaft modified, which is what I'd like to do. I PMed him for pics/info, but he's not replied. Anyone else have pics/info of how the tranny is mounted, as well as the hybrid driveshaft? Thanx.

E

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
'cept when you have to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic everyday...

I enjoy the standard tranny and wouldn't have traded it for the world, 'til I got to Dallas.

In Tampa Bay, you could actually get into 5th gear and cruise over 80MPH at times. Not here. Gonna enjoy my car and not try to be pissed at it all the time ;-)