2006 Pontiac Solstice short throw shifter/trans in a MK3 Supra

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
At this point the shifter can be removed from the housing. Here we see the major components: Shifter, housing, wave spring, and retaining plate:

p629578_1.jpg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
At this point we can slot the Solstice shifter into the Supra trans:

p629743_1.jpg

Unfortunately, the attachment plate does not line up:

p629743_2.jpg

But it does shift. I was able to get gears by holding the plate down with one hand, and moving the shifter with the other.

I can think of 3 ways to fix this problem:

1) Ream out the holes on the Solstice plate

2) Swap over the Supra plate. I was not willing to do this for the sake of the pictures, because I'd have to destroy the Supra shifter.

3) Finally, it'd be a fairly simple matter to just cut a new plate with the proper bolt pattern.

I'll leave it up to some one else to take it from here, but here's a teaser pic with the Supra knob:

p629743_3.jpg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
CRE said:
Didn't you have to modify the solstice housing to use the MKIII shifter? In that case I don't see how the Solstice shifter would fit a MKIII tranny.

Yes, I modified it by welding the supra shift housing on it. The interface is all Supra. You can see the welds in the pics.

I really don't see how this is that different from using the IS300 (I think that was the model) B&M short shifter... except that that shifter isn't crazy short and actually takes a shift knob, not a linkage.

Hmm, I don't know. I'm not familiar with that mod.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
DEFIANT 7M said:
WOW just WOW! Great job limequat....Don't know if this has been talked about yet.. www.solsticeforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6348.html
Am I wrong for thinking this six speed can be used in our cars? If this has been talked about someone lead me to the watering hole:icon_bigg

Thanks, Defiant. I brought up the AY6 on this forum or the other. The response was that it was completely different from the AR5 and not that robust anyway. Still, if an appropriate bellhousing could be found, I think it would be a very interesting swap.
Have you seen any pics of the front of the case?

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
limequat said:
Thanks, Defiant. I brought up the AY6 on this forum or the other. The response was that it was completely different from the AR5 and not that robust anyway. Still, if an appropriate bellhousing could be found, I think it would be a very interesting swap.
Have you seen any pics of the front of the case?
Hell yea I just looked at it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the solstice shifter is typical GM, the tranny is installed with the shifter bas plate and everyhing on there, and then the actual shifter is bolted to that (notice the flat spot and hole?)

It won't be way too short, just make a rod to lengthen it and bolt it on...

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Is this an actual short throw as in it moves the pivot piont changing the angle of the shifter? Or does it just move the knob lower like the SOGI shifter?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
89turbosupra said:
Is this an actual short throw as in it moves the pivot piont changing the angle of the shifter? Or does it just move the knob lower like the SOGI shifter?

Looks to me like the pivot is the same as the supra's.