2006 Pontiac Solstice short throw shifter/trans in a MK3 Supra

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I was looking on ebaymotors and I saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pont...6QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is someone who is selling a short throw shifter from a 2006 Pontiac Solstice and it says that it will fit a 86-92 Supra as well because "Both vehicles source an Aisin transmission with some interchangeable parts". Also is says "I used the Solstice trans for my Supra".

I was wondering has anyone else tried this trans in a Supra or heard of this?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
From looking at the picture... I'm pretty skeptical. I'll wait and see if anyone does anything though.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Looks way too short up top and the bottom end doesn't appear to extend far enough to make for anything other than missed shifts due to the shift linkage not moving far enough.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
This has been covered before here. Someone tried or DID convert the tranny into a Supra. Let me see if I can find it...

Well, it sounds like that ebay seller says he converted the tranny. The question I have is: why didn't he use the shorter shifter? Hopefully somebody here will buy it and report on it (so I don't have to waste my money :biglaugh: )

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Hey guys, that's my auction. The shifter is left over from the Solstice swap - which is indeed a 5 speed. I decided to use the Supra shifter for a couple reasons:

1) I don't particularly care for short throws. I like that fact that I don't have to reach far from the steering wheel to find the shifter

2) The Supra shifter appears to be better built. The solstice has a plactic pivot, where the supra's is metal.

Now does it work? Let's begin...

First strip the interior down so you can get to the shifter. I'm assuming most of us can figure it out up to this point:

p629523_1.jpg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Now, moving to the Solstice shifter assembly:

p629531_1.jpg

In a similar manner as the supra, pull up the rubber boot and remove the 4 bolts. The attaching plate slides off:

p629531_2.jpg

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Didn't you have to modify the solstice housing to use the MKIII shifter? In that case I don't see how the Solstice shifter would fit a MKIII tranny.

I really don't see how this is that different from using the IS300 (I think that was the model) B&M short shifter... except that that shifter isn't crazy short and actually takes a shift knob, not a linkage.