1jz running really rough

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
so here's the story: I've been having some issues getting my 1jz swap running until yesterday I got my new walbro fuel pump. first thing I did this moring is put that in and the 1jz runs!!! granted i'm not sure it was running quite perfect but it was idling on its own and would rev freely. i'm not sure how high I was reving it in the garage cuz my tach isn't working at the moment, but it would rev as high as I wanted. so I was happy and really excited that I got to finally drive my car(I bought it with a broke 7mge). so I take it out and about 2 blocks from my house I put the gas down and as soon as I start feeling the turbos pull. POP!! something breaks. so I'm like CRAP!! and pull over. I look and realize that my piping came off the intercooler because I forgot to tighten the clamp. so I slowly drive it home making sure not to rev the engine hardly at all because its really running rough.

so I get home put the ic piping back on and nothing changes. the 1j idles really low and vary crapy making a strange noise. and if I try to rev the engine it starts breaking up really bad and sputtering like crazy. I have no idea whats going on and I would really appreciate some help. please if you have any ideas let me know.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
no I can't power through it just breaks up really bad and there are no cracks on the coils. I just found out that my guage fuse was blown so thats why I didn't think the check engine light was on. so I replaced that and now I'm getting codes 14 and 52. I'm going to check what that means right now. thanks for the fast responses though. I'll update this thread in a bit after I find what those codes mean.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok so code 52 is the knock sensor which makes alot of sense given the circumstance and 14 is I think the ignitor?? is that right? well anyways PLEASE HELP!! I have no idea where to go from here

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok so I pulled the ecu and looked it over. I couldn't see or smell anything burned or broken so I think thats good. when I put the ecu back in code 14 magically went away so now its only code 52. the way the car runs didn't change when I lost the code. and I'm thinking now that the ic piping was probably off before I left my house so we can ignore that. I still NEED help though if anyone has any ideas any at all

sunrisetrd

Jan 18, 2009
FL
Be sure to check and make all the spark plug wires are correctly plugged in. Something similar happened to me before.