1jz Question

2jz_mk3man

Mar 14, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
i have a 87 supra that im looking into putting a 1jz in it. i have looked around and come to find out that there is a 1jzgte and 1jzgte vvti. now would the vvti be more of a pain in the ass to put into the car or should i just go with a reg. 1jz

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The vvti 1jz never came in the supra, that alone makes the swap much more complicated. The ECU is different, the wiring is much different, the engine mounts are different. It also has slightly less in common with the 2jz, making parts harder to find.

The vvti swap has been done before a few times. If I remember correctly Kaizen motorsports (in the vendor section), has done it before.

IMHO the vvti swap is not worth it unless you have the extra time and money and want something a little different. If you intend on going for high hp, it will make your life harder simply because parts are hard to find if nothing else.

2jz_mk3man

Mar 14, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
ok thanks ive just been looking on what i want to go with because im selling the 2jzge motor out of mine and was thinking about going 1jz but i might still go 2jzgte