1JZ broken turbo?

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
hi guys, i need a little help here. I was told I have a bad turbo. Anyway, here is my case. from 0 mph... with WOT from 1st gear, 2nd gear 3rd gear.. the car moving pretty fast, as soon as the car goes smoothly at 5th gear, I wanted more power and thus step the gas pedal all the away, I felt no power, I downshift to 4th, the car still wont goes any faster, downshift to 3rd still nothing, car wont simply give more power....... it takes forever(need at least 1/2 miles) wit WOT,the car would go just a little faster. Conclusion, it gives me no fun driving.... :(
Any help would be appreciated.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
boost leak or your timing is getting effed up due to clog filter or something maybe???

check for boost leaks first as its the cheapest. ;)

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
yes, i have boost gauge. When idling, the gauge shows about <500mmHg, when boosting at about 4500rpm, the gauge shows about 6psi. I will check fuel filter this weekend. By the way, how posibility it could be my fuel pump not strong enough and fuel pump filter clog??

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
How do I check boost leak? I know I read it about taking off turbo, I was told the job is tough to remove turbo. So, I would check boost leak 1st.
anyway, thank you all very much..

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
desmd99 said:
How do I check boost leak? I know I read it about taking off turbo, I was told the job is tough to remove turbo. So, I would check boost leak 1st.
anyway, thank you all very much..
What you need to do is take off the air filter, and seal the end, then pressurize the system. A cheap method is to go get a PVC end cap from home depot, and stick a valve from an inner tube in it.

Alternatively, go find a shop with a smoke machine. It's a little easier to find leaks that way.

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
annoyingrob said:
What you need to do is take off the air filter, and seal the end, then pressurize the system. A cheap method is to go get a PVC end cap from home depot, and stick a valve from an inner tube in it.

Alternatively, go find a shop with a smoke machine. It's a little easier to find leaks that way.

OK, here is my plan. As annoyingrb suggest sealing air filter and put some pressure into the intake manifold to check air leak. However, question is, will the air pressure leak through turbo gasket or turbo exhaust when i apply air pressure??

2nd, I need to seal the air intake manifold to prevent air leak through piston cylinders? (please correct me if I am wrong)

Now, approximately how much pressure do I need to load into intercooler system to check air leak? Using bubbles to check air leak, is this method good?

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
desmd99 said:
OK, here is my plan. As annoyingrb suggest sealing air filter and put some pressure into the intake manifold to check air leak. However, question is, will the air pressure leak through turbo gasket or turbo exhaust when i apply air pressure??

2nd, I need to seal the air intake manifold to prevent air leak through piston cylinders? (please correct me if I am wrong)

Now, approximately how much pressure do I need to load into intercooler system to check air leak? Using bubbles to check air leak, is this method good?

1st No, rob didn't say to pressurize the manifold, he said to pressurize the system; air intake to throttle, that's where the leak probably will be. If not, do the pressure test again but then with the throttle open.

2nd if you keep the throttle shut it's sealed pretty good. With the throttle open and thus the manifold pressurized, there will be very little air leakage by the rings.

3rd @14psi you should be able to hear air escaping, not sure what you mean with the bubbles though.

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
Rich said:
1st No, rob didn't say to pressurize the manifold, he said to pressurize the system; air intake to throttle, that's where the leak probably will be. If not, do the pressure test again but then with the throttle open.

2nd if you keep the throttle shut it's sealed pretty good. With the throttle open and thus the manifold pressurized, there will be very little air leakage by the rings.

3rd @14psi you should be able to hear air escaping, not sure what you mean with the bubbles though.

sorry for confusion, bubbles = soap(foam created from soap). anyway, thanks for explaination. I hope I can get back my "1JZ power" asap... :naughty: