1j swap times

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
just outta curiousity i was wondering whats the fastest time someone ever took to swap a 1j into a mk3 supra? and by swapping i mean removal of the old 7m motor, wiring for the 1j and putting the 1j into the car and doing all the required work to get it running. exclude waiting time for parts, etc.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Ultimately, 2 weeks in the end. I started before I went to the desert and ordered parts and what not and finished when I got back.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Yep about two weeks! At the most

1-2 days to remove the old 7M engine & crap
2-3 days to prep the engine change belts gaskets water pump to 2JZ set up. Should really upgrade the "Y" pipe now also.
3-4 days to drop the engine in the car
3-4 days of final touches wiring electric fan etc..
1 Day to kill all your shit talking honda buddies who say it will be slow and front wheel drive is better then rear.
This assuming you have the PS line all the parts bic mounts etc.

Howerver on this figure if you extend the wiring harness add at least a good 1-2 weeks.
Just going through the slightly enlarged Speedo Hole behind the engine cuts most of the time down!

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Ken will have to chime in on this but I think he did one in a week, and I'm thinking we helped with a Cressida 1J swap that was done in a week maybe two.

My personal swap took for fucking ever!!!! First time I had ever done a swap, was still learning to work on cars, and did the stupidest thing you can do while doing a swap or anything for that matter. Changed a bunch of shit at once, while doing the swap. Still paying for that.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
One week here. And a few of those days where spent only wiring after school. I also had the help of my master toyota tech dad and the dealerships service department.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ahhh im gonna try and go for a record here and attempt to do it in one weekend. friday saturday and sunday. will i succeed? probably not. lol but aim for the moon and if u fall short at least u fall among the stars. lol. im picking up my front clip wednesday hopefully, and im gonna spend most of thanksgiving break removing the motor and everything else i need from the clip. if i start wednesday hopefully by saturday ill have everything i need from the clip out. then on sunday bring it back up to school. on monday start doing the wiring and by thursday i should have that complete. friday morning get the subframe outta my car and put in the 1j subframe. set in the motor and tranny. saturday take care of connecting everything and adding fluids, intercooler piping, etc. and hopefully sunday afternoon she should be running!!!
quick question though...... if i take everything outta the front clip do i still need to get a powersteering line and a throttle cable? or can i use the 1j stuff?

Mar 31, 2005
us
#1StunnaVic said:
ahhh im gonna try and go for a record here and attempt to do it in one weekend. friday saturday and sunday. will i succeed? probably not. lol but aim for the moon and if u fall short at least u fall among the stars. lol. im picking up my front clip wednesday hopefully, and im gonna spend most of thanksgiving break removing the motor and everything else i need from the clip. if i start wednesday hopefully by saturday ill have everything i need from the clip out. then on sunday bring it back up to school. on monday start doing the wiring and by thursday i should have that complete. friday morning get the subframe outta my car and put in the 1j subframe. set in the motor and tranny. saturday take care of connecting everything and adding fluids, intercooler piping, etc. and hopefully sunday afternoon she should be running!!!
quick question though...... if i take everything outta the front clip do i still need to get a powersteering line and a throttle cable? or can i use the 1j stuff?
if you're pulling it all out of a clip, your pulling it out of a right hand drive car. so yes, you do still need to aquire those additional items.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
weekend to swap it

get the parts.. pull the harness off the engine and wire it up.. then throw it all in.. shouldn't take more the weekend to physically swap it.. whole processes.. depends on your budget and when parts are shipped. but 1 week is do-able

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
The wiring is what is going to take you the most time. Don't short cut anything. Solder the connections and not use crimps.

And like mentioned before, if you decide to upgrade the y-pipe in the future, best time to do it is when the engine is out. Trust me, it is a PITA to do it with the engine in the car.

If you want to get it done fast, make sure you have all your parts collected.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
does anyone know the part numbers of the ps line and the throttle cable? and are they dealer only or can i pick them up at NAPA or something?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My friend pulled the 7M and put the 1JZ into his car in one day. But he does it for a living.

I can do it in a weekend if everything goes to plan. I've gotten pulling the motor down to about 3 hours, if I'm keeping the harness connected to the body. Putting it in takes a little longer.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Yeah....A week maxuimum if you have everything for the swap.

Extending the harness may take a few hours - but you can minimise that by routing the harness through another hole in the firewall. This saves you from soldering aboout 100 something points = time saver.

Removing the 7m is very easy.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I didnt get a throttle cable i shortened it it was pretty easy to do!
for the PS line i used the hydrofan line the pressure side one since i went with the 2JZ cooling system setup it was much better and i used the line since it was there.

I guess i should explain a little bit better but there is a way to use the stock efi harness so that you dont need to extend the harness it is 120+ wires and you have to do at least two solder/crimp points per wire! some of the wires are shielded also.

You can crimp but use the aerospace grade enviromental barrel splices stagger them and melt the plastic gel seal until the gel comes out dont use the automotive cheap ones.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i've already decided from a long time ago that im not going to even touch my 1j wire harness. i dont want any shorts of any kind. im just gonna make a jumper harness using the 7m harness connectors and the 1j body connectors. how did u shorten the throttle cable? did you the 1j or 7m cable?
thanks.

Just got and buy a 92-96 camry throttle cable. Fits great!

#1StunnaVic said:
i've already decided from a long time ago that im not going to even touch my 1j wire harness. i dont want any shorts of any kind. im just gonna make a jumper harness using the 7m harness connectors and the 1j body connectors. how did u shorten the throttle cable? did you the 1j or 7m cable?
thanks.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
I think I got a 94 camry throttle cable with cruise control. It fits great and no binding problems. smooth as butter throttle response! BTW my swap took a week from the day jarco delivered my clip to the day I started it up. Just be sure to soilder and heat shrink all the wires. I did and haven't had one check light or any problems at all. Take ur time man and u will have less problems its not a race