1969 Moon Landing

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Keros said:
Total Recall Mars? Please, stop talking.

Let me explain the estetics of going to the moon vs going to mars.

We haven't gone back to the moon because of the immense cost and little gain we would get from sending people there. We have rock samples from all over the surface, we have plenty of data on geography, ect. There's no reason to go there at this time, that's why we haven't in over 30 years. There's simply nothing to gain and nothing new to learn.

Mars? Did you just compare going to Mars to going to the moon? Need I point out that the moon covieniently orbits the Earth at about 384400km (239000miles) center to center. Mars however, doesn't. The Earth is around 150 million km (~93000000 miles) from the sun, Mars is somewhere in the land of 250 million km (155300000 miles). And now we have 100 million km to cover just in straight orbital seperation, then you have to consider that both are moving at different speeds, and can be on opposite sides of the sun at the same time. Thus, sending out a space craft will require launching on a trajectory to intercept mars, not just go to it. Meaning Earth will leave the astronaughts far behind in it's orbit. If something goes wrong help is a year away. It's likely help would find a tin can full of frozen bodies.

Sending people to mars is a whole new department of space travel. The moon is a few days in space, Mars is over a year in space, then however long on mars, and a year back. Assuming they manage to land in the martian atmosphere without burning up, then take off without something going wrong, then making it into space and on the right trejectory to get back. This is all assuming that they don't get obliterated by interstellar debris, die of radiation exposure due to damage to the ship caused by impacts from said debris, or a long list of a million things that could go wrong.

The moon is easy. The technology of the 1960's was more than enough to do the job. Mars is very very far beyond today's technology.

And now, cost. Sending a probe the size of a basketball to mars costs millions of dollars. Sending a rover to land on its surface costs billions. The apollo missions costed a lot of money, had the government continued to fund them, it would have been economical suicide with the cold war looming.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to fake something of the magnitude of the moonlanding. If it had been discovered, the US would be discredited for the rest of time.

Kind of sounds like what people must have said about using ships to travel long a distance across an ocean back in the olden days. Good thing they werent cowards and did it back then.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
But, we can definatley get to mars. Scientists in the 1800s believed that if you traveled faster than 40 mph you wouldnt be able to breath and would die. So what this sound like today, is what you just said will sound like in another 100 years.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Isphius said:
But, we can definatley get to mars. Scientists in the 1800s believed that if you traveled faster than 40 mph you wouldnt be able to breath and would die. So what this sound like today, is what you just said will sound like in another 100 years.

Yea sure you can go over 40mph and still breath, if your a dam witch!

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
See, there couldn't be a moon landing was because of Piccolo ;)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Nobody else has pointed this out yet, either. You think the pictures are too good because we just got 12 megapixel digital cameras? Consider that film cameras really haven't changed since WWII.

I can STILL take a better photo with my WWII era Exacta 35mm than you can with a pro level digital. And the one they took to the moon was a shitload bigger than a 35mm.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Who cares? Going to the moon hasn't helped my life any. :icon_bigg

I guess if they decided to start up the space program again for a trip to mars my taxes would go up... I'm putting way too much back anyway.

Why don't they just invent an engine that runs on Dark Matter and move the universe instead of worrying about moving the ship?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
There are many thing that we use in our day to day life that are the direct result of the space program, and it's needs. If we didn't have our space program when we did, we would set back a considerable amount.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Who cares? Going to the moon hasn't helped my life any. :icon_bigg

I guess if they decided to start up the space program again for a trip to mars my taxes would go up... I'm putting way too much back anyway.

Why don't they just invent an engine that runs on Dark Matter and move the universe instead of worrying about moving the ship?

Read this

http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs.htm
http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs_2.htm
http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs_3.htm

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nope, there was a need for the space program, and they had the funding...

we would have been FAR behind if it wasn't for NASA...

Many things are STILL tested and found in space on the shuttle missions.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
we're all wrong, was bored and reading up on December 21, 2012... lol

http://www.2012.com.au/Site.A.html

Little ways down...

" Some information is difficult to absorb, such as the nature of our hollow Earth and the ancient civilisations still living there. Like the fact that many people have actually traveled back in time to change the future of this planet and universe, many eons ago. And like the fact we have discovered how to make war ships invisible and time travel again, since 1943. And how the Apollo Moon Program was a cover-up of higher technology. Secret trips had already been made to establish bases on the Moon and Mars, and to explore other parts of our solar system since the early 60s. Finally, to whet your appetite a little more, or make you more skeptical, depending on where your awakening path is at, Earth is expected to slow its rotation, stop, and reverse its spin without catastrophes, along with being moved in space with the rest of the solar system to become part of the Sirian star system!"

So there...

*edit*
I hope that stuff isn't supposed to be taken seriously... lol... you need to read a few of the paragraphs on down.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Of Course the Moon Landing's are Real. I am 20 miles away from a saturn V rocket, and let me tell you, they had alotta BALLS to ride that big honkin solid fuel rocket to the moon. I have more computing power in my cell phone than they had in the orbiter. I got to set in a lander at SpaceCamp, those guys were so cramped for room. It amazes me how brave they were, and how much training it must have taken to run those programs. Everything is toggles and gauges..everything manual!!! You flamers should be saluting those guys instead of saying it was faked. Another thing, if it was faked, when, and how the hell do you recon they put the equipment on the moon at the landing sites? Use your brain people, my god. If you are going to believe a consperacy, then do a pole on how many shooters on the grassy nole. lol Leave NASA out of it. We owe alot to those guys! And yes ELVIS IS DEAD, before you start that one up. :sarcasm: