12volt rewiring required for walbro fuel pump??

supranatural

Apr 7, 2007
Oregon
I've installed a walbro 255 fuel pump and aeromotive fpr using stock voltage to power up the fuel pump. My problem is that I'm not getting enough fuel pressure (it's reading at 14-15 lbs). I've checked all lines and they're all good (no leaks or kinks)..I've also replaced the old fuel filter for a new one, but still getting low fuel pressure..so my guess is that I may need a 12 volt rewiring kit? or maybe the fpr is bad?? I've also pinched the return line on the fpr and it spiked up to 55 lbs. I'm stumped, your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
14-15 PSI i assume? Your car shouldn't even be running. Its possible the diaphram is bad (torn or not seating properly) . If its torn you'd smell a lot of fuel not to mention it would be flooding your vac system.

edit: you do realize you can adjust the FPR right?

supranatural

Apr 7, 2007
Oregon
IwantMKIII;1094629 said:
14-15 PSI i assume? Your car shouldn't even be running. Its possible the diaphram is bad (torn or not seating properly) . If its torn you'd smell a lot of fuel not to mention it would be flooding your vac system.

edit: you do realize you can adjust the FPR right?

I don't smell any fuel and there is no flood on the ac systems..the engine starts and runs. When I go and adjust the fpr, nothing happens, it just stays at 14-15 lbs.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A 7M will fast idle just fine at 14 psi. It's the pressure I use when cleaning the fuel injectors. The cleaning lasts longer doing it that way and it also forces the injectors open.

OP: Think about it. If you pinched the line and pressure went to 55 what does that tell you about the pump and wiring? Put another way, what did you effect in the system by pinching the line?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
supranatural;1094634 said:
I don't smell any fuel and there is no flood on the ac systems..the engine starts and runs. When I go and adjust the fpr, nothing happens, it just stays at 14-15 lbs.

jj is leading you right where you need to go. One thing though, did you adjust it all the way? I know my A1000 took a lot of screwing before it actually started to raise the pressure

heres a few shots of mine to help you understand whats going on inside:

0519082302xz7.jpg

0519082247bi7.jpg

0519082244ia9.jpg

BAD diaphram (
I had a pic of a new diaphram but can't seem to find it, typically there is a plastic/silicon like layer surround the diaphram acting as a gasket to prevent fuel from entering where the spring is):
0519082244aqp1.jpg

supranatural

Apr 7, 2007
Oregon
OP: Think about it. If you pinched the line and pressure went to 55 what does that tell you about the pump and wiring? Put another way, what did you effect in the system by pinching the line?[/QUOTE]

I really don't know..I heard that if you pinch the return line and if pressure spikes, then it's a bad fpr or the fpr might be installed wrong. .it could just be a bad fuel pressure regulator??

supranatural

Apr 7, 2007
Oregon
IwantMKIII;1094652 said:
jj is leading you right where you need to go. One thing though, did you adjust it all the way? I know my A1000 took a lot of screwing before it actually started to raise the pressure

heres a few shots of mine to help you understand whats going on inside:

0519082302xz7.jpg

0519082247bi7.jpg

0519082244ia9.jpg

BAD diaphram (
I had a pic of a new diaphram but can't seem to find it, typically there is a plastic/silicon like layer surround the diaphram acting as a gasket to prevent fuel from entering where the spring is):
0519082244aqp1.jpg

Yes, I screwed/adjusted it all the way down, and not a single pressure raises????????????

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
you have a bad FPR or hooked it up wrong.. weather or not you have the 12v mod the fuel pressure should go up SOME when you adjust it..IMO

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
jetjock;1094639 said:
A 7M will fast idle just fine at 14 psi. It's the pressure I use when cleaning the fuel injectors. The cleaning lasts longer doing it that way and it also forces the injectors open.

JJ: i never thought of cleaning the injectors that way. so you basically run the car and bring your fp down to about 14psi? do you use any additives to the fuel when doing that?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's the standard procedure used on other cars to do on-the-car injector cleaning, just that Toyota makes it a little tougher. Basically you unplug the fuel pump relay, run the engine dry, pinch the return line and then connect a fuel injection cleaning cannister to the fuel rail after filling it with a professional strength cleaner. The cannister is pressurized and the engine run on the cleaner alone until once again it dies.

You can buy a cannister with regulator for around $100 or do as I did and make your own. I can put up a pic if you'd like. For cleaners I use MotoVac's product or OTC's Inject-R-Kleen. About 12 bux a can. Toyota also sells a cleaner. I have the part number around here somewhere but the other products are easier to get and just as strong. For hook up I have a quick connect right on the rail. It's the same one I use for fuel pressure checks.

Edit: Here ya go...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
jetjock;1095520 said:
It's the standard procedure used on other cars to do on-the-car injector cleaning, just that Toyota makes it a little tougher. Basically you unplug the fuel pump relay, run the engine dry, pinch the return line and then connect a fuel injection cleaning cannister to the fuel rail after filling it with a professional strength cleaner. The cannister is pressurized and the engine run on the cleaner alone until once again it dies.

You can buy a cannister with regulator for around $100 or do as I did and make your own. I can put up a pic if you'd like. For cleaners I use MotoVac's product or OTC's Injektor-Kleen. About 12 bux a can. Toyota also sells a cleaner. I have the part number around here somewhere but the other products seem easier to get and just as strong. For hook up I have a quick connect right on the rail. It's the same one I use for fuel pressure checks.

Edit: Here ya go...

thats a great idea. i sent mine out to clean so im in no rush. this way is much easier, cheaper, and i dont have to be stuck without a running car for a week. post pics when you get a chance.... great info for the next time i clean them out

-pete