12v fuel pump mod?

boostaddict

Jul 23, 2008
connecticut
i tried searching and from my understanding all you have to do is splice the 2 wires going to the resistor box together? just wanna make sure that is right before i start cutting wires up. if so why do others have these long write ups on running wires everywhere else?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you jump the resistor connector (harness side), the fuel pump will run at a constant 12V...this is very easy to do. You keep the old wiring though.

The other variations of the "12 Volt Mod" are replacing the wires all the way to the pump with 10GA wire and using a relay in the rear of the car, (activated by the old stock wiring) to provide a 12 volt source straight from the battery. Advantage is low voltage drop.

The question is why do you want to do this? The only advantage with running the pump at 12V is a constant speed/output...it makes tuning easier. Or, if the resistor is causing problems producing a constant output at 9V....old, brittle wiring is another good reason. On a stock system, there is no real advantage and you will wear the pump out faster.

boostaddict

Jul 23, 2008
connecticut
jdub;1169053 said:
If you jump the resistor connector (harness side), the fuel pump will run at a constant 12V...this is very easy to do. You keep the old wiring though.

The other variations of the "12 Volt Mod" are replacing the wires all the way to the pump with 10GA wire and using a relay in the rear of the car, (activated by the old stock wiring) to provide a 12 volt source straight from the battery. Advantage is low voltage drop.

The question is why do you want to do this? The only advantage with running the pump at 12V is a constant speed/output...it makes tuning easier. Or, if the resistor is causing problems producing a constant output at 9V....old, brittle wiring is another good reason. On a stock system, there is no real advantage and you will wear the pump out faster.
so just splicing the wire is the same as rewiring is what your trying to say?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...no, I didn't say that at all ;)

I did say both ways will provide 12V to the pump.