Troubleshooting/Repairing a leaky HKS SSQV

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Cliff note: Leaky HKS, Black piece in third pic wont seal on inner ring. How to get a better sealing surface or rather raise the inner ring to get a tighter fit?

I've been doing a lot of researching and finding countless people with issues with the HKS SSQV. Whether they it be because they accidentally bought a knock off or surge issues or just plain leaking like mine.

Why am I upset with the SSQV, I have two utterly useless BOV's. Both leak in the same fashion, out the vent in the front (not the oring to the flange) and if others at home would test it more often, you may come across the same issue. I can literally blow through mine with my mouth with ease, just imagine how much boost that is leaking. My recent contact with HKS has been far from acceptable. So far I've had one of their representatives accuse me of owning knock-offs and they can't help, and the other refuse in any way to make the customer happy; to make me happy all I wanted was a new seal, but instead I'd have to send it in, pay $120 for the to 'look at it' and then replace the actual assembly (which costs almost the price of a new one) when all i need is one seal.

Here is the general layout of the SSQV, take notice to the front end 9left side in pic) where the round end meets the flat darker surface, this is what makes the seal:

sqv3d_img_03.gif

Here's the real thing with the front cover/seal off. Not only is the black piece plastic (this makes the seal), its actually separated from the piston itself, requiring now two sealing surfaces (this can be seen in the second pic below) These are 10+ MP pics so feel free to zoom in and take notice how rough the surface is for the plastic sealing piece:

p1000319k.jpg

p1000320b.jpg

The culprit, a rubber seal with metal core to prevent any flex. You can see the raised area on the inner ring, this is what is supposed to seal with the PLASTIC piece. Why the heck wouldn't they use metal, it blows my mind. To get this piece you MUST buy the entire assembly which is just shy of the full cost of the BOV. Again, stupid, who in their right mind would not think a rubber seal exposed to the elements like this would not wear out over time. Oh, sorry, according to both HKS representatives, they've been "selling these for 10 years with no problems", I find that hard to believe:

p1000318i.jpg

Now for the question: Any ideas on how to essentially raise the inner sealing surface so its more snug up against the plastic piece so it seals? I've thought about silicone on the rubber piece and oiling the plastic piece so as it dries it would make a great sealing surface as close as possible without sticking to the plastic piece. I've also thought about using a thin oring and attaching it to the rubber or plastic piece. Its also crossed my mind to use some type of rubber to stick to the plastic piece to raise its thickness and fill the gaps but not sure how to go about getting it smooth unless somehow its dipped into a liquid rubber for a thin smooth coat.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
crap lol removed for now

Fixed, thanks for the tip haha. I also tend to look for problems too so I can keep on top of them, but yes, trouble follows me with cars in general, not just supras. I'm 24 have owned 6 cars, all had ridiculous problems arise. gaboonviper85 knows the extent of my troubles, and he can vouch that murphy has it out for me when it comes to cars.

Last edited:

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
i just wan to post this info here for people who dont know how to vac check it like me.
borrowed info:
Did you pull a vacuum on the HKS to see if the internal check valve on the diaphram is holding ?
This is a common problem with any used ssqv.
If they were ever run without the filter, fine road grime that makes it past the car's air filter will cause the check valve to not seat.
You need one of those hand pumps for pulling vacuum to check them.
Hook it up, pull a vacuum on it, and watch the vacuum gauge.
If it takes any less than a few seconds to leak down, the check valve has dirt in it.
If it won't hold any vacuum at all, there is a chance that the diaphram is shot.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
san supra;1601270 said:
i just wan to post this info here for people who dont know how to vac check it like me.
borrowed info:
Did you pull a vacuum on the HKS to see if the internal check valve on the diaphram is holding ?
This is a common problem with any used ssqv.
If they were ever run without the filter, fine road grime that makes it past the car's air filter will cause the check valve to not seat.
You need one of those hand pumps for pulling vacuum to check them.
Hook it up, pull a vacuum on it, and watch the vacuum gauge.
If it takes any less than a few seconds to leak down, the check valve has dirt in it.
If it won't hold any vacuum at all, there is a chance that the diaphram is shot.

During my SSQV tear down, I took close notice to how this area worked as well. personally I think HKS fails on the design here as well. If they're aren't going to make replacement parts available they should have sealed the diaphragm to the metal. With it not being sealed, it just allows dirt to come in between the metal and rubber over time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If you go the RTV route use wax paper from the kitchen. Silicone won't stick to it and the bead will conform to the sealing surface. I'd have to hold the thing in my hands to know what could be done beyond that. If I couldn't fix it I'd machine something similar out of aluminum and make it use an O ring. Since I'm guessing you don't have the machine tools I do you'd have to get that done though and in that case it's probably cheaper just to buy a new one.

Sorry, not buying into Murphy. He can be tamed to the point of near banishment. It's done every day in my business...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^Because the seal sits at an angle, he's having trouble coming up with a design that would fit and retain an o-ring without it falling or being pulled out. Short of some type of glue, i'm not really sure either.

Last edited:

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
i just did the vacuum test and it will only hold -3psi unless i pump like crazy and then i can get it to -8psi before it drops back to 0.
i think it takes 2sec to drop to zero. sound normal?

Last edited: