Supra vs S2000 supercharged

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
I was on the way home from work, around 11pm and traffic was light. I saw a bright blue hid light in my mirrors coming up pretty fast. I was going about 75mph in the second to center lane. The blue hids came up next to me on the center lane and it was a silver s2000 lowered with wheels. It has a single sided exit exhaust and quite loud, I could hear it over mine. He slowly passed me and I moved in right behind him. He just kinda stayed at that speed, around 80mph for about a mile.

Then he changed lane to the right, so I speed up to get next to him but suddenly he down shifted and loud roar from his car. His rear bumper was at my front fender and I just gassed it in 5th about 50% throttle. The S2000 was still there, not pulling and I was not gaining either. I downshifted to 4th and full throttle. 18 psi hit and suddenly POW...... Boost dropped to 10psi... I just figured that a rubber connector blew and boost leak. I slowed to about 65 and the S2000 slowed too. S2000 downshifted again and I just floored it in 4th. The turbo was now whinning like an 03 Cobra sc, boost didn't go over 10psi. S2000 was right there side by side. Hit redline in 4th and I just slowed down. Gave S2000 a thumbs up and the went his merily way.

I knew he was sc because, supras with similiar modifications to mine at 10-12 psi is dynoing around 300hp. Also I have used my brothers M3 to race a few S2000s and they are pretty equal. I destroy my brother's M3 at 10 psi, so I figure the S2000 would have to be sc around 300whp to keep up.

Next morning, could not find any busted intercooler hoses or broken pipes or leaks anywhere. Decided to take off the intake pipe and check to see if the turbo croaked. Pulled the pipe and there was 2 bent fins and a chipped fin on the compressor. Looked at the air filter, it was cracked on the bottom side, where I couldn't see it. The cheap plastic was so brittle that when it cracked, it shattered and a few peices was sucked into the turbo... (that's the POW I heard).

PIC000011.JPG

PIC000022.JPG

Yes, it's a cheap eBay filter my brother installed. I had my HKS filter coming and this was just temporary use for a few days.... :cry:

But the good thing, now I have a good reason to upgrade, GT35R?.... :biglaugh:

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
LOL... wasn't quite a pow, but pooosshhhh...
I kept on going cause I figured if it was just a blown intercooler pipe, no problems.... Sad thing is I have only used this turbo for 3000 miles....

NEVER use cheap crap unless it has been proven good by others.. :rofl:
Try not to be the tester.....