Shimming the bypass spring on the oil pump

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends a lot on what the engine was designed for :) Wear/building the engine/higher power/track usage = you need to revaluate what you'll be using.

Hydrostatic bearings aren't supposed to wear at all, but people don't always take care of their engines leading to wear.

Can't tell you how many times I've had people come in a bitch about getting a defective oil filter or that it's the wrong one because it's spewing oil out the seal... because they're running 20w-50 on a newer Ford (that's speced for 5w-20).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
JDMMA70;1995157 said:
Who puts 20W-50 into a brand new truck? Do they even list 50w oils in the owners manuals anymore?

Nope, not even diesels run 50 weight oils anymore! They have to go out of their way to buy it as we've gotten rid of nearly all of it. It's also not "brand" new, but a newer one. I've had to educate a ton of these clowns that think a heavier weight oil will stop leaks or that if it's got high miles it needs it...

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
supraguy@aol;1994031 said:
The shimming wont help idle pressure, only high rpm pressure.
So, i don't see the point of overdoing that. As long as i get at least 35-40 warm psi at ~3500rpm(highway), i'd be very pleased.
I was more concerned with low rpm pressure.

MY idle pressure was at 25 psi shimmed on my rebuild with a new OEM pump. My tolerances for the crank and mains were tight clearances from the machine shop. I had to take the crank out due to breaking the crank pulley bolt this month, and after inspecting my mains and rods the berings looked new. I'd shim if I had the block a part period.
I have had and used 15w50 mobile 1 since 1994 and I have never had issues, and when starting my cold start pressure was 140psi since my relocation elimination of the stock filter mount since 2000.

I am no expert but for 14 years I have never had issues with my set up, and I have successfully added 4 more quarts of oil with this set up! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...d-7M-update.&p=8936430&highlight=#post8936430

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Very nice.
And as i mentioned, i did shim my oil pump. I also installed new squireter bolts, and a thermostatic cooler system as well.