new turbo and wastegate problem

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Hi everyone, i just rebuilt the top end of my 88 mk3 w/7mgte (Mods: D-motion FMIC D-motion egr block off kit) and i bought a new turbo from cx racing (ct26) (wich im starting to think was a mistake) when i first got it it was clocked wrong and i had to take it apart and reclock it so i could bolt it to the engine, on the first drive the boost gauge pegged past 10 psi on my aftermarket gauge. (wich is installed right) i found the flapper where the w/g actuator rod connects to it was hitting the stock downpipe on the casting protusion, i couldnt fit a grinder in there and it was bareley hitting so i bent it just a hair so it would open freely, still pegged past 10psi and wouldnt open, i loosened the actuator rod just so it had enough spring tension to keep the flapper closed, now it will go to7-10psi and spike or go past 10psi, even around 3k half throttle im boosting around 6psi. any input on what i should do? Ive been babying it since i know it has this problem. once i see the boost go to high i back off. i just need some input, im thinking the wastegate actuator may be bad from the get go. vacuum line to it is good. i dont have a pressure pump to test it with. thanks for any input.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If you just bought the new turbo why not contact CX Racing and return it for a full refund. If there was a casting issue preventing the actuator rod from doing what its supposed to do then it's faulty. You shouldn't have to modify a new product to make it work correctly. I would contact paypal, or your credit card and notify them of the issue so they have it on file that you have an issue with a vendors product. If CX Racing doesn't refund, or replace then start a dispute. Good luck.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Isn't there a thread on this forum about this product and the many faults with it? Waste gate actuator problems and exhaust gases leaking at the waste gate flapper are some that I remember.

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Thanks for the replies, i dont think cx racing takes refunds on these turbo's. it seems to work perfectly fine besides the wastegate. it spools up niceley and sounds great. the thing is such a PITA to remove and install, id like to just get it to work, i am going to grind down the downpipe and see if the wg will open without the flapper arm slighly bent, and even try out the wg actuator off the original turbo just to see if the actuator is the problem. if still no dice then i will have to open a dispute and try to get my money back. and thanks for the link, but as i read it seems that turbo is for the bolt on t-61 and not the ct-26. I already searched it and couldnt really find much. I will let you guys know what happens.