WTF?90 degree coolant hose...

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
ok so my 90 degree coolant hose on the back of teh head exploded the other day... i pretty much lost all coolant but i caught it fast enough no prob...i remved it and it looks as if it was to close to the head and it melted it?i didnt think much of it since it looked OLD so i replaced with a new one...well i drove the car for 20 miles and i started smelling coolant again...luckily i caught it fast enough but wth?...was there suppose to be any insulation there to protect it?i spliced anoth piece of hose and put it around it and it still meleted it...

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
hmm possibility...have to check that tomorow...veyry good possiblity though cause i got a big exhaust leak already after the cat so maybe i couldnt hear the exhaust mani leaking...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Pretty simple compared to some modern stuff. After all the technology is 20 years old.

The cooler is the gadget with the cover and all the bolts at the rear of the head. Leaks in the cover gasket are a fairly common occurrence and can affect the O2 sensor in addition to jetting gas on the hose. Not the most pleasant of jobs to repair with the engine in the car but it can be done.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
You should try working on German engineering, an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Some of them require the entire front of the car be removed to change a timing belt. A Delorean will also test your patience. The MKIII is a cakewalk.

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
i work as a tech for dodge and i find the supra a lil harder to work on than usual, granted most of it is because I never really work with rusted/corroded parts like the supra has and i don't have nearly as much tools home as i have at work...

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
jetjock said:
Assuming you still have one if the EGR cooler is leaking it can jet exhaust onto that hose.

well you sir where right.

i pulled of the hose again and looked at the egr cooler.i saw some evidance of black soot around the top corner next to the coolant line.i tried to feel aorund to see how i could remove it and guess what, there is no bolt there!!

so now i need to pull it, find another gasket, and a bolt.it looks like a bitch but so is trying to do a front end alignment on a dakota lol.

anybody know where i can get this gasket at?i dont know any toyata dealer close to me...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Any car can be a real pain in the ass depending on the job. Even this one. Smallbutthater is on the verge of finding that out ;)

You can get the gasket at some auto stores but the quality tends to be lame. Since it's a high temp material and this is not a job you want to do twice I'd get the OEM part. Order it online. Course, you could just stick the missing bolt in there and hope it seals. I sorta doubt it will because exhaust jets tend to erode stuff.

Everybody has their own method. Mine is to remove the valve covers then throw an old mattress or something similar on top of the engine so I can lie on it. For tools a Chapman set (or clone of such) with a machined socket works well. If you have big hands you'd better recruit someone with small ones...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jetjock said:
Everybody has their own method. Mine is to remove the valve covers then throw an old mattress or something similar on top of the engine so I can lie on it.
Speaking of crude but effective...