Will these upgrades pass CA Smog?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
heh yeah it would be just about impossible for them to tell unless you have the turbo polished or something, the lex afm looks just like the 7m's

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Good tune with stock downpipe and stock cat should be fine for emissions. A replacement oem cat will remove more exhaust than any kind of high flow cat so if you use one of those you will be better off. Also, the stock downpipe has a cat (which they might look for) so it might help a little.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Thanks a lot guys! I will actually be using a High Flow CAT, hopefully that will pass on emissions as well. I also use a High Flow CAT on my AE86, and it passes.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
They are right. Visually, it will be tough to tell. But the short answer is no. If the parts you are installing are not CARB certified for your make and model, you can not legally install them on your car in California.

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
let us know if you do.. I have same mods, and cant pass TX smog test.. i also have a RT high flow cat..

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As rumptis said it'll pass muster as long as the tailpipe falls below the cutoff points. The visual is a crap shoot with the only question in this case being the AFPR. Technically speaking even a non OEM hose on an emissions system is grounds for failure but most techs won't go that far. Altered parts are frowned upon simply because most people aren't successful tuning them. That said every mod you mentioned is easily tuned for closed loop operation. After all, they're mainly designed to effect WOT and the test isn't done there. The odds are as long as the tailpipe is below the cutoff points the AFPR will be overlooked. If not you could always go to a state station and have a referee pass it.