Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
I'm no slouch but it's time to defer to the big boys.

The question:

Is it possible to have a properly adjusted TPS that all resistance measurements are within TSRM spec but on the final check with a 0.50mm feeler gauge I get no continuity and not have a code 51? Would you pass or fail this tps?

The problem:

I'm having an issue that points to the TPS but I never throw parts and hope so I break out the multimeter last night to check. I set the tps per the TSRM, check resistances and then don't get continuity on the last check. I think to myself bingo, bad tps. Then the other half of my brain kicks in and I think "If I don't have continuity then the contacts are not closed and I should see a dtc to confirm". So, I pull codes and nothing. Just flashing normal code. So I lightly push the gas pedal and just as it should code 51 starts flashing. I release the pedal, 51 goes away, as it should. Gnashing of teeth ensues and I run the adjust/test procedures twice more with the same results.

Am I crazy? . . . . . Possibly.

Was I drunk? . . . . Maybe.

Was I missing something? . . . . . Most likely.

Thanks in advance for your input. :icon_bigg

P.S. I seem to remember when searching for something else I ran across a post stating that the online TSRM tps test numbers differ from what the '87-'88 should be. Can anyone confirm or clarify either way?

Thanks

_

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jetjock;1085411 said:
It's possible to have an open IDL contact and not have a code only if the wiring is shorted or the ECU bad. You must have measured wrong. Not that it matters...as long as the ECU is happy it's all moot.

See, that's what I was thinking. So the fact that I can induce and halt code 51 shows the contacts are closing (enough so to satisfy the ECU anyway) and the wiring is happy.

As for measuring wrong, do you mean the resistance values or when I set the throttle stop to zero clearance or the feeler gauges? That was the part that was driving me bats. Surely even I could not fubar something as easy as making my dvom go "beep". I even went so far as to remove the feeler gauge and rotate the tps and throttle while the dvom was connected and never got the expected result.

And just to confirm, IDL and E2 "are" the bottom two pins on the tps when still installed in the vehicle correct? (7M-GTE)

So are we calling this tps good, suspect, fubar, owned by a technical incompetent. . . ?

Thanks again,

Chris

_

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Easiest way to set it (forget the feeler gauges):

1.Jump the diagnostic connector

2.Loosen the 2 tps adjustment screws

3. Starting from near the bottom of it's adjustment (going clockwise) turn the tps til your not blinking code 51, than keep moving it in small incraments until 51 appears.

4.Turn the tps back (counterclockwise) just a hair and check for 51. If no 51 appears, your good, otherwise continue to move the tps counterclockwise in tiny incraments until code 51 is no longer present.

5. Have beer.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Chris, who knows. You had to have mis-measured something but it's not important. As long as it does what suprabad said *and* doesn't set a code 41 it's all good.

And yeah, iirc it's the bottom two pins. You have to be careful though because the book is wrong or at least confusing. Just another reason to verify things at the ECU using voltage. Resistance just doesn't cut it for troubleshooting sometimes.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
suprabad;1085636 said:
Easiest way to set it (forget the feeler gauges):

1.Jump the diagnostic connector

2.Loosen the 2 tps adjustment screws

3. Starting from near the bottom of it's adjustment (going clockwise) turn the tps til your not blinking code 51, than keep moving it in small incraments until 51 appears.

4.Turn the tps back (counterclockwise) just a hair and check for 51. If no 51 appears, your good, otherwise continue to move the tps counterclockwise in tiny incraments until code 51 is no longer present.

5. Have beer.

Thanks for the tip, beer engaged. But I don't think I was really having trouble adjusting the tps, my problem was more in confirming the tps was/was not working properly. I will be rechecking it again tonight and I'll chk voltage as well.

Thanks again.

_

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jetjock;1085674 said:
Chris, who knows. You had to have mis-measured something but it's not important. As long as it does what suprabad said *and* doesn't set a code 41 it's all good.

And yaeh, iirc it's the bottom two pins. You have to be careful though because the book is wrong or at least confusing. Just another reason to verify things at the ECU using voltage. Resistance just doesn't cut it for troubleshooting sometimes.

Thanks JJ,

I was just responding to suprabad's tip when you posted up. Yup I'll check voltage tonight. Just ran out of time last night chasing my tail. I don't have a 41 so we're good.

Thanks again for your help gentlemen.

Chris

_

Last edited: