Where is the oil leak coming from?

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I recently purchased a new supra and its is leaking quite profusely from somewhere above the passenger side steering boot. But I recently had the turbo off and I looked and I cant seem to find anything above it where it would be leaking down to, and nothing else seems to be oily... I checked the oil cooler lines and they were fine. And the turbo lines are not leaking. Any other ideas?

zinlar.jpg

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
dont kno if it will help but i have an oil leak on my supra, and my mechanic told me that in order to get it fixed i will have to replace the front main seal, the rear main seal, the camshaft seal, and the valve cover gasket. doubt thats it but u could always check those just in case...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Your power steering pump, reservoir, or lines.

The CPS has an o-ring around where it inserts into the block...this leak is common.

xms

Jan 25, 2006
tx
I had the same problem with my 89 supra it was not pwr steering lines or reservior or cps ring it turn out to be a passenger side cam seal so I just replace both it.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Check out your CPS, its a tricky spot, and likes to drip down to weird places....

Mine had a similar leak, but MUCH worse, and wound up being the CPS

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
take that boot off and see if there is atf inside, (the stuff on the outside is likely too dirty to tell the color) if so time for a new rack

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Smell the fluid, power steering fluid has a different smell and texture. I would say its you PSP. Or the lines going to and from. I'm dealing with that problem as we speak. But I don't want to bother with it.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Definitely make sure it's oil before taking it apart. Like everyone else has said, it could be power steering fluid. Toyotas use ATF (at least all the ones I've owned have).

I had two leaks there and after I fixed the oil leak (valve cover gaskets) I still get power steering fluid on the ground. I'm just too lazy to really bother with it right now. I have a driftmotion pressure line and all the Toyota short rubber hoses so I only have to do it once. I go through ~ 1 quart of ATF every 3-4 months.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
I found the leak... On my drive down to centralia my passenger side steering boot cracked open and it was full of ATF fluid, new rack you say? :(

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
SupraCorwin;1321364 said:
I found the leak... On my drive down to centralia my passenger side steering boot cracked open and it was full of ATF fluid, new rack you say? :(

or a rebuild...

to the OP, you might want to look into getting some proper steering rack bushings as well. I don't know what the hell is on there right now, but it doesn't look like a bushing....more like an old rag.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
PrinceChip;1304180 said:
take that boot off and see if there is atf inside, (the stuff on the outside is likely too dirty to tell the color) if so time for a new rack

i was told my rack was leaking as well....how much for a new rack or rebuild?

lsaint07

Apr 21, 2009
Atlanta, GA
i think the base model supra (NA) averaged around 200.00 and the rack for the turbo cars around averaged 300.00

what i did when my rack went bad. i drained all the fuild from the rack, right where the two (they look like brake lines) lines are at the center of the rack. i undid them and turn the steering wheel left and right with the car NOT running and drained it that way. I took off the belt, too. After i did all that it worked. Don't know if this is the rought you want to take but that is what i did maybe not the safest thing to do but it got me home.