When is the right time to move on from the mkiii?

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
Alright guys here is my situation. My car was at the body shop getting my bomex lip repainted and one of the body shops customers saw my car and just had to have it. He offered me about what i have invested into the car. Now for some reason this decision has been so much harder than i thought. I do want to sell it but i also love the car and want to keep it. The car right now has no problems at all. It runs like a champ. Other than the bumpers the car still has shiny original paint. The car is a white package 91 supra with blue interior. Scott(Hotscennesy) can tell you how clean this car is. I get complements many times from random people when i drive the car. If you were in my situation would you sell the car or keep it? Maybe it's time to move on to the jellybean but if you were in my situation what would you do?

Cliffs: My car was at the body shop and a customer saw it and wanted to buy it. He offered what i have invested in the car already. Would you sell it or keep it?

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
Keep it if you still enjoy working on your car, driving it, modding it, etc. Otherwise, sell it.

Even though I enjoy driving mine, I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I could get half of what I've spent on it. Maybe even a third... :3d_frown:

If you're on the fence, ask the potential buyer for more cash to sweeten the pot.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
well the thought of selling it never crossed my mind until he made me an offer. I never thought I would sell it because as everyone knows, you wont make anywhere close to what you put into the car. Part of me wants to sell it but than the other part of me doesnt want to sell it. If I do want another mkiii in the future i worry if I would be able to find another mkiii that is clean and doesnt have any problems like mine. I guess i need to sleep on it but damn this is one tough decision

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Jelly bean? MK4?
Well I think that would depend how much he is offering you. If its enough to pick something else nice up I'd go for it. If what he's offering is enought to get like a used RX7 I'd say keep it.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
BlackMKIII;910123 said:
Keep it. You'll never have another one like it.

Yea thats the main reason I am leaning towards keeping it. I have no mechanical issues with this car at all. I know most people say its not a mkiii supra if there isnt something wrong:biglaugh: so i guess its rare to have a problemless supra...lol

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
A wise friend once told me - The happiest days of your life, will be the day you buy your Supra, and the day you sell it.

Ask for more money - depending on how much it is, do whatever you feel is right.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
When is it time to walk away?

Hmmm... When you realize you have over $20,000 invested in a car that has only moved once in the past two years and that was to tow it from a storage unit to your new garage... And you dread goin into the garage because you know its sittin there and you cant move forward on it because you dont have the money or time to continue, but you hold on, hoping one day, but when will that day come, you dont know, so your friends are offering to help, and you want that car so bad, but damn it man, over two years, aaaagh!

Is that when you walk away? :D:D:D

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
It depends on how you feel about the car. I still like the ride, so I'm not looking at other cars. It's time to sell when it's not a blast to drive anymore.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Pics of said gem?

If you really love this car then by all means keep it. It is an addiction but it is up to you. I keep mine because its the car i learned to work on cars with and because it is not my daily driver. I just have mine for the shear pleasure of owning it and even with the offers i have received i can not accept them because i will feel like that 47 year old man that still regrets selling his hemi-cuda back in 82 for $3k.

Its up to you man, how much do you want to hold on to it. Will you rest easy if you do get another car?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
csr ma71;910185 said:
When you make more than $10 an hour, that's when you get something else.

That only goes for the owners who have consistently broke down Supras. True enthusiasts, many earning more than $10/ hour, have sweet Supras.

*edit* On the contrary, a person making $10 an hour or less, shouldn't own a Supra. They need to be driving a car that is cheaper to repair and maintain.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
rodel;910318 said:
It's time to move on when the thought enters your mind.

I disagree. During the long winters up here my mind tends to wander all the time to other projects I could be doing. So far I always come back to the Supra with renewed enthusiasm. When this stops being true I will move on.

I have plans in the future to own a Corvette and possibly an LS1 FD. We'll just see when I get bored of the Supra.