what year q45 throttle body for ffim

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The Q45 is normally used on a FFIM. For it to work on a stock manifold an adapter plate would have to be made/welded to the TB mating flange. In addition, the TPS would have to be re-wired and linkage fabricated. This is not a plug & play mod.

To achieve the higher flow afforded by the Q45, the the rest of the piping and intercooler intake/output would need to be changed over to 3". Anything smaller would become a restriction and negate the Q45's higher flow.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
jdub said:
To achieve the higher flow afforded by the Q45, the the rest of the piping and intercooler intake/output would need to be changed over to 3". Anything smaller would become a restriction and negate the Q45's higher flow.

Thats a good point, and my argument for keeping the stock TB on my FFIM.

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
So the point being made as i am understanding is that its pointless to use a Q45 TB unless your are using 3" piping throughout the intercooler setup??? Which does make sense I am jsut confirming my thoughts and understanding.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When you run piping for a forced induction system (i.e. a turbo), the smallest diameter of the piping, the TB, the intercooler in/output becomes the most restrictive. The compressed air becomes "more compressed" in a sense restricting flow...it's Bernoulli's Principle at work...you will get only so much flow through a given diameter. You can do this with psi and/or volume...psi will work to a point, then you have to increase volume. The Q45 will do that, but you have to have the rest of the restrictions removed in the system as well or it doesn't really matter.

Flow is what you are actually after...more O2 molecules to support combustion in the cylinders. You can add gas all day, but if you don't have the O2 it's not going to burn efficiently.

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
The same theory as having a 3" exhuast pretty much right. The more flow the better. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding right which I was. Thank you for the Science class.:icon_bigg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Conversely you might actually hurt drivability by going that large as the Gas speed through the system drops and you need time to fill the volume added and end up with perceived lag.

Your Turbo moves xx cfm of air at a given boost pressure what you're after is a pipe diameter that's small enough to flow that amount without it increasing speeds to a critical point (mach .4/304 mph).

People often get caught up in the "Bigger is Better" thing with Turbo's then bitch and whine about "Lag" and blame the Turbo when it's just a badly thought out system that's to blame.

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
Those problems should be solved by choosing the right parts to use and by tuning the car when it is done. Correct or Incorrect??? Or Just by not giving a massive overload of air and not enough gas and vice-versa

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ. said:
Conversely you might actually hurt drivability by going that large as the Gas speed through the system drops and you need time to fill the volume added and end up with perceived lag.

Your Turbo moves xx cfm of air at a given boost pressure what you're after is a pipe diameter that's small enough to flow that amount without it increasing speeds to a critical point (mach .4/304 mph).

People often get caught up in the "Bigger is Better" thing with Turbo's then bitch and whine about "Lag" and blame the Turbo when it's just a badly thought out system that's to blame.

Yep...very true. You need a turbo that will move the volume of air required in a short period of time. Like IJ said, you gotta think this through. A restriction in the system will increase speed for a given psi (Bernoulli's Principle again) and can cause the flow to hit the critical point.

And you have to have the fuel (injector size with supporting fuel pressure) to match.

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
IJ. said:

lol IJ!

as soon as i started reading this thread i knew you would pipe in w/ mach calculations, protons and quasars.

if i ever make the 300hr flight down under im gonna have to look you up.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
I've worked with a few aussies. Australia sounds like an awesome place to live. I would love to vacation there. You should come see the states aswell. What part of Australia are you from?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
91SupraTurbo said:
The same theory as having a 3" exhuast pretty much right. The more flow the better. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding right which I was. Thank you for the Science class.:icon_bigg

no

intake is not so simplistic.

Volume is only part of the equation. Gas velocities is the other and on the intake part it has as much importance as volume does ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
BTW

Q45 tb you are stuck with just that ONE sized TB.

For FFI there is only ONE way to go and that is with a 86-93 Mustang 5.0 Throttle body.

Availalbe from 65mm to 105mm. Anything else is just pointless as you have zero option than just the one TB. Sized to fit the system and HP goals ;) Not to big or not to small. :)