What is this?

celica fanatic

7m mkII
Oct 9, 2007
Martin georgia
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a '87 7mge in my '82. It runs great, has plenty of torque, yet smokes like a coal train. I cannot figure out why it is running so rich. If I pull 1st or 2nd gear up too many rpm's, it floods out, and dies. I have to pull over, crank it for about 30 seconds, and keep out of the pedal on the way home. Anyway, I'm wondering what this little box does. It's on the passenger side of the engine bay. It looks like the injector resister. I just realized tonight that I did not install it into the '82 when I did the conversion. Just so everyone knows, their is no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, and it has a new Toyota head gasket, and arp head studs. But, what is this? What's its function? *edit* Also, if I drive it, I can shut it off, and start it fine as long as I don't wait more than 5 or so minutes. If I drive it and shut it off, then go out to start it 10 minutes later, I'll have to crank on it for about 30 seconds before anything happens. Thanks.

p1562860_1.jpg

p1562860_2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fv_JVwdLdI

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
89nasupra;1567824 said:
The one on the drivers side is the resistor pack for the injectors on a turbo model. They look the same.

are you sure about this one? I know the turbo pressure sensor (turbo) and voltage sensor (n/a) are located on the driver side shock tower

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes there are 2 one on each shock tower. Theirs a boost pressure sensor that mounts on the resister pack on the drivers side and then the fuel pump relay for the one on the passenger side.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Nope don't have any pictures for N/A, But I was browsing your build thread and noticed your pictures. Are your injectors Yellow or Green?

The post-89 7MGE came with high impedance injectors so had no need for the resistor pack, and as such wasn't incorporated into the harness. You need the Green top injectors to work with this system.

Last edited: