what causes nearly non-existant brakes?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hi everyone, I've been looking at several different Supras for a friend of mine and including the one we eventually bought, they all have the most terrible brakes I have ever seen.

For example, one the 5spd I drove, the pedal was at normal height and felt only slightly soft but you literally had to grab the steering wheel and push as hard as you could to slow it down in any reasonable distance. In this car, an auto, you get a bunch of pedal travel and it feels normal but again takes a tremendous amount of force to actually get the thing to slow down. For comparison I'm pretty sure I could have all 4 wheels completely locked on my car if I put that much force into them, also I have a VERY small amount of "play" before the brakes engage.

My plan of attack was the following:
flush out all brake fluid and replace
replace all brake pads, rotors, shims and springs
replace rubber lines (possibly get stainless)
(If that doesn't work, and I doubt it will)
Replace master cylinder
replace the little valve above the booster

Then if all that doesn't work I'm at a loss other then to go to the brake booster ($$$$), so if anyone has had experience with this kind of thing and got it resolved I'm open to any and all suggestions on what to flush/bleed/replace etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hrm... I was hoping it wasn't something to do with the booster. But it would make sense. Thanks IJ!

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
When my brakes went bad, there was a suction leak from my brake booster, so when you pressed down, there was absolutely NO power, meaning no brakes. It took like 10 seconds to slow down to 0 whenever I was going 20, it definently sucked. So I replaced my brake booster, and problem solved.

-Matt

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Thanks Matt, thats pretty much exactly what every car I drove exhibited. So it looks like I'm replacing the booster, huh.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Did you buy it new or used?

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
Before you go buy a new brake booster, take off all the wheels and check all the brakes.

The problem could be a ruptured brake line, the brake caliper piston seal torn, prob. bad brake rotors or pads. If you not in a hurry, just inspect each side carefully, best way is have someone in the car to step on the brakes while you inspect the lines.