weird problem when driving in boost

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
so i just put the clutch in my car and i was driving around tonight and i was trying my hardest not to drive it hard but i couldnt help it and i went into boost. before i changed the clutch i had a small boost leak and i plugged it up and the car was boosting nicely at 9 psi. ( i think i was still loosing 1 lbs of boost somewhere). after changing the clutch and i was in boost the car went up to about 7 lbs and i heard a slight popping sound coming out of the exhaust almost as if it was like a backfiring slightly? im not exactly sure what it was but i think maybe the spark might have been getting blown out or something? but im really not sure because it kinda just started happening out of no where. im running ngk iradium plugs right now. and i didnt gap them because i remember hearing something about you could break the tip of the platinum plugs very easily. anyone has any insight in what this could be?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you can break the top of the IRIDIUM plugs, yes. However, the gap on these when you buy them is rediculously huge for a boosted motor. First thing I would to is either try to gap them (I used to do it all the time), or get some coppers, and gap them .28".

I can almost guarantee your problems are spark related.