Web masters - How to question

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I need to replace the "index.htm" file with a new one.

My MS front page won't replace the old index file with the new.

How do I blow away the old index or am I going about it all wrong?

Thanks!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Can't you just rename it and then upload your new index? Like add "old" to the file name, then upload your new file, and if anything is wrong you can change the name back.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Frontpage, ugh. I use a dedicated FTP client to upload all my files to my web server. It allows me full control over the files on the host.

So are you trying to use Frontpage to upload the new index.htm, or are you just trying to overwrite one on your local hard drive? In either case, if it isn't letting you do it then it's being stupid or there are permissions issues.

A

ArthurRitus

are you sure ur not looking at two seperate files, such as an "index.htm" and also a "index.html" pay close attention, if thats not the problem, i would try saving it as a seperate file, then renaming it yourself.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
What version of Frontpage are you using? They changed publishing methods halfway through the product's life.

Are you using it to publish directly to your webhost? If so, what method are you using to connect to the host?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I hate dream weaver - Id have to go to college just to learn how to turn the damn thing on .

4.0.2.2717 is the version Im using.

Also, Grim - I don't know the technical term for how I connect to the host. It asks me for a user name and password.

Last - I erased my old index.htm file on my hard drive. I created a new one.

When published, the "index.htm" is hidden, and appears to the public as www.mdcmotorsports.com

I need to know how to blow away the old index file on the server.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Looks like you have an index.htm and index.html file. I assume this is the one you want to stay?

http://www.mdcmotorsports.com/index.html

For what it's worth, I always work in direct coding mode, so it doesn't matter much what I use, but I have used a few of the programs out there and I find Dreamweaver much less aggrivating than FrontPage, exactly for reasons like this. I'll never touch FrontPage.