want to get a 5.1 set-up, but quick question first

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Has anyone ever hooked up their computer to a home audio receiver? Any pros and cons to doing that and would it be better than to get a 5.1 set-up that was designed for a computer like the Logitech Z-5500?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I've done it to a Kenwood Reciever before, and it was a nightmare. If you want to do it, make sure your sound card and the reciever both have a respective optical out/in - otherwise you'll end up with a lot of hiss and crackle, although it still might be more hassle than its worth unless yo're a real audiophile.

That Logitech sysem i've heard first hand and its really impressive, sound wise. It doesn't distort at volume and you get nice, crisp bass on the bass bin :)

I myself have been using a 2.0 setup - Creative P380 system - and i'm more than happy with it.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Kai said:
I've done it to a Kenwood Reciever before, and it was a nightmare. If you want to do it, make sure your sound card and the reciever both have a respective optical out/in - otherwise you'll end up with a lot of hiss and crackle, although it still might be more hassle than its worth unless yo're a real audiophile.

That Logitech sysem i've heard first hand and its really impressive, sound wise. It doesn't distort at volume and you get nice, crisp bass on the bass bin :)

I myself have been using a 2.0 setup - Creative P380 system - and i'm more than happy with it.

I have the X-Fi platinum sound card. Would that help?

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I have mine hooked up to a Kenwood Home Theater receiver, just using the optical port. Worked perfectly fine for me. Go for it, ones designed for the computer aren't as good.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I had the Logitech 5300 5.1 speakers and they were great. A little too much boom in the bass for my taste, but Kai's right, they never distorted and they got REALLY loud.

I have since switched it for a 5.1 in a box set-up and wish I still had my Logitech. To do home theatre surround well I'd say you gotta spend at least 400 bucks.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Got Boost? said:
I'm working on a bit of a budget, so was wondering if this'll do fine for the time being? Anyone have experience with Insignia electronic products?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1099394773266

JAV - thanks for the link. It's bookmarked for future references.

Oh, and Insignia is Best Buy's cheapo electronics brand(I work there). Some of the stuff's good, some is total shit. But for a 120 reciever with a year warranty, I'd say give it a shot. It should be really similar to the low end yamaha recievers. If money is a concern, I'd go with a cheap reciever like that and spend a bit more on speakers.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
yeah, i have my comp hooked up to a Sony ministereo. Ive been using home theaters for my comp for years.. i love it!

Ask me on aim how to do it Alex..

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I have 600-watt KLH receiver and sub and 2 sony floor speakers(SS-MF55OH) and 2 bookshelfs(SS-MB115) for the surround channels.
I had to replace the receiver once because I bought it messed up. The optical channel had some static and I didn't know any better but worked great for 2 years otherwise.

Then got it replaced for $30 shipped from KLH, their customer service was great they didn't refurbish it. Just sent me a new unit. The sub is a powered 100-watt 10 inch. I think my entire system was under $400 but I didn't buy everything at once.

I prefer the ability to adjust my speakers more than the Logitech. Which are nice, my brother has it but it only has one bass volume, loud. lol
It all depends on what you're willing to spend. I can keep this set up forever. I love it.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
suprarx7nut said:
I had the Logitech 5300 5.1 speakers and they were great. A little too much boom in the bass for my taste, but Kai's right, they never distorted and they got REALLY loud.

I have since switched it for a 5.1 in a box set-up and wish I still had my Logitech. To do home theatre surround well I'd say you gotta spend at least 400 bucks.

400$ i don't have atm & when i do get 400$ that goes rite to my car lol. all i got to listen to music rite now is my headphones lol.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
JAV didn't mention the 5500 setup has a 27 increment bass volume control that can actually be turn down to nearly silent, I just chose to keep it at a nominal level (about 9/27). Besides I listen to more Jungle and Big Beat bands, Cedric listens to more Rock, so of course my bass is going to seem louder :slap:

The 5500's are awesome. I use to mix songs on them until I got some proper studio monitors and playing stuff back through both setups sounds very similar (The EMU monitors are actually clearer for high frequencies, but thats what I bought them for anyhows) Most home setups are made to sound "good" and that may not mean accurate, necessarily, but the 5500s do a great job of doing both.

My advice would be this: If you're planning on hooking up three game systems, a vcr, and multiple optical and RCA outputs (like my brother), go with a receiver, as they will always outclass a computer based system by sheer number of inputs, just know that a good receiver isn't worth the money you paid for it without good speakers (and Vice-Versa) . Now if you're looking for a good computer and 1-2 console setup (like), go with the Z-5500s, they will serve you well. I got mine 2yrs ago on an employee discount, and now that they're the same price new (255 on amazon) as my discount price, given the choice I'd buy them all over again.
Hope that helps:icon_bigg

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Last edited:

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Jervis Mcstabby said:
JAV didn't mention his brother owns the setup you were asking about to start off with.
Yea I did tard.

JustAnotherVictim said:
I prefer the ability to adjust my speakers more than the Logitech. Which are nice, my brother has it but it only has one bass volume, loud. lol
It all depends on what you're willing to spend. I can keep this set up forever. I love it.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
JustAnotherVictim said:
I prefer the ability to adjust my speakers more than the Logitech.
:rofl: Oh yeah, real adjustable, the volume between 1 and 10 on yours is almost exactly the same!!! :rofl: The only time it does sound quiet is when a movie is in, and that's because movies are always mixed quieter than games and computer stuff (which still sound loud at 1 out of 60)! :naughty: You also failed to mention that you turned down the volume on your sound card on your computer to make it seem quieter.