Valve Stem Seal Removal 7M,1JZ,2JZ, ETC.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Alright, I am sorry if this may be repetitive, but I like many people have had a bad experience tying to remove valve stem seals. I don't even want to explain the way I use to remove these, I may get banned:3d_frown:

Anyhow, I am currently doing my 1JZ swap but the way the heads are the 7M is the same way to remove these. I found a tool that makes this very easy and effortless:

p1366934_1.jpg

This tool comes in a set of 4 ( Picks ) from Walmart, these are Stanley, you can get these at The Home Depot and many of your local hardware stores.

I thought I would share this, and again I apologize if this has been pounded into everyone's head already!! I have done two heads now extremely easy, fast, and accurate.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1367340 said:
Same thing I used ;)

Ahh finally some input. That is great to hear. I have not been able to really find something that worked so great. I always brought it to the machine shop and they did it. They of course never told me what they used. I would ask and their response would be we have " Magic "

I was at the store today and almost bought another set I love them so much!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1367374 said:
I believe there are actually pliers made specificly for doing it as well ($$$$)

Yeah it seems like that is what they'd use. I am just happy it is now effortless for me to do. Today I am going to be working on the bottom end having it clean. I just need my full engine gasket kit now to put it all back together.

my Plans are during winter to drive down to a Texas meet, and also to meet up with Suprahero.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
gtsfirefighter;1367743 said:
So what are you using to compress the springs? All suggestions welcome. I'm contemplating doing this to mine since it smokes so bad at start up.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=9621

Just read through that. The Snap-On Bluepoint keeper tool is ~40 dollars.

The Proper Pliers are ~20 from toyotool.com.

The pliers need to be ground down for use in the M/JZ motors but it can be done.

You can use the pick, but :( if you scratch up a bore.

See Ken, i'm not so bad after all. ;)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
socket+hammer to remove springs... lol.. always works

Socket with a rubber hose inside to install, rubber hose pushes the keepers into place as you push ont he socket to compress the spring. I have never had a problem getting valve seals out with some needle nose pliers on the lip of the seal and a good yank

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Zumtizzle;1367907 said:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=9621

Just read through that. The Snap-On Bluepoint keeper tool is ~40 dollars.

The Proper Pliers are ~20 from toyotool.com.

The pliers need to be ground down for use in the M/JZ motors but it can be done.

You can use the pick, but :( if you scratch up a bore.

See Ken, i'm not so bad after all. ;)

Excellent write up on that forum. Thanks Sum!

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i always just used a reg pair of needle nose pliers. never had a prob pulling the valve stem seals. the bitch is getting the springs in and out but there is a decent tool for that for like $35 rom snapon. or the one that works perfect for ~$100. its been posted before.