urgh HG :-D

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
ok so, some of you may remember me from replacing my engine because I spun bearings. Well recently I went through BHG with the jdm motor (that I neglected to change the hg in because I'm an idiot and did not heed warning). So I put the old head from the motor with trashed bearings and a new HG on the new jdm block. So it was running like a freight train until I tried to turn on the heater (it was left d/c after I put the new motor in, roughly 2mo. Reconnected it with the new head). It popped a hose off because it was either clogged or a hose was kinked. I almost made it to the red with the temp sensor before I saw steam and the indicator rise so I shut it off. My friend with an rx7 (who btw, never seems to have problems haha, despite people saying rotaries are the least reliable things ever) came to my aid with a flashlight and screwdriver. I reconnected the bypass I had set up and filled up the radiator. Ran fine and we took it for a drive. I did a couple runs from 1st to 2nd and drove it about 20hwy miles at 3500rpm. It was running like a champ. So this morning I get out and go beat on it on the way to school. I let it warm up like I always do and make sure oil pressure is fine and that sort of thing. So I'm going down the highway, playing with other drivers dropping it to 4th just to have a little fun. My birdcage (as I've come to know it well) light comes on and of course I'm like... oh jesus, oh jesus. So anyways I get to work and I'm late so I don't have time to take a good look. I see coolant on the black down near the oil pressure sender, almost where it was last time, but not as bad. So today, my same friend with the 7 comes to look at it with me and we diagnose it by letting it warm up and taking it up to 3grand and holding it. Sure enough coolant is comming from somewhere but we can't get a good look. It appears to be around the Tstat housing and the whole point of this thread was to ask if this is a trouble spot? My other HG started mildy and turned into a freak nightmare as time went on. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the head again. I used arp bolts and torqued them to factory spec. Do they need to be higher or something? Do I need to retorque the head? Is it possible it's where the tstat housing meets the head? Please let me know what I can do before I have to go through another shitty weekend.

I'm going to be a qualified supra mechanic before long :) And shit, I haven't even touched boost. My friends don't call me the redneck stress test for nothing.

For your enjoyment:

im_awesome.jpg

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
well I can see the coolant residue and it looks like it's possible that it was comming from the very short hose that comes from the tstat housing to the metal coolant lines that run under the exhaust manifold. I need to get a bit longer hose to go there as what I have now seems a little short. I don't have a gasket for the housing (I have one on the tstat cover with some rtv) so I just slathered it in RTV. I've learned my lesson about over torquing so I just put the tstat bolts on until firm. I'm about to put the distrib back in and see if she's still spewing coolant. Wish me luck.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
Took it for a spin to work. I thought I smelt coolant, but I ran it through first and second to redline right before I got to the parking lot and I checked when I got out and did not see coolant where I did the other day. I'm hoping I fixed it.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
In regards to whether you should torque the ARP headbolts to factory spec, if you mean 58ft/lbs - NO WAY!!!

Go to at least 70.

If that's not what you meant, my apologies.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
mickyg said:
In regards to whether you should torque the ARP headbolts to factory spec, if you mean 58ft/lbs - NO WAY!!!

Go to at least 70.

If that's not what you meant, my apologies.

Really? Uh oh, is it too late to go back and torque them down more?

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
Thanks guys! Soon as work is over I'm going to go home and do it. I gotta drive it there though :(

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
So I torqued them down over the weekend. I went to 76ftlbs which was like barely 1/5th of a turn for most of the bolts. I also finally got that stupid hose from tstat to the metal lines that run under the exhaust manifold to stop leaking.

However my car still doesn't pull nearly as strong as it did the one night I was out testing it after I got the gasket done. I mean it pulled like a train through the torque band and then it chomped right through the HP band and it would put my ass in the seat. Now it's chugging below 4,000rpm (you can feel it pick way up when you hit 4,000). It's like a slug below that though. I have set to 10* advance (I know you go like 15* safely, but I'd rather not). Anyways I was wondering if maybe I'm going about setting the timing wrong, like on some sbc's you pull the vacuum advance when setting the timing, is there such a thing on the supra? I figured it's electronic? Anyways it doesn't seem to be doing all that hot (I mean it's not overheating and it drives, but I want some kick in my car, that's why I got it even though it's a freaking boat).

I also have a question regarding oil. I've read that some of you use 15w-40 Rotella and Delo and some of you use Royal Purple 5w-20/30 and such. I did use RP but it was burning a hole in my pocket. I recently switched to Delo 15w-40 multigrade with the new HG and oil consumption seems way down, however I have had some experiences of insane oil pressure. Like 80psi @ 3750rpms on the freeway in fifth.

Also ever since I got this new engine I've had a hard time firing it up. It kind of studders trying to crank. I know this can't be good for bearings and I don't want to ever be in that situation again. It's like it either isn't getting fuel or enough air. If you try to give it gas it stumbles anymore, so I think it must be air. It's not the starter, because it turns over pretty easy and quick.

Anyways, I know this thread was mean for HG, but I have so many questions and as much as I've searched it's hard to pinpoint another exact instance although I'm sure there have been some.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
johnathan1 said:
Everyone is gonna give you a different answer, I would do 75ft/lbs on stock bolts.

I personally intend to torque my head down to 75lbs. After giving it long needed thought, 75 seems to be a bit above and beyond. But some guys do alot more than that, but they have turbo's. I woudn't go anything less than 70.

You should do a search on oils. we talk about them all of the time.. I see you think of oils such as I do so it is time to accept the fact that the way you percieve oil is totally wrong. 15w 40????? crazy, dude. If it's not putting out like it was..., I automatically think timing is causing you lag. But I am no mechanic nor do I charge for my opinions. so you win.

Last edited: