Tokico illuminas shocks

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I wanted to know if anyone is using the tokico illuminas shocks that are compatible with tems? I like the idea of choosing the ride I want but factory tems shocks are expensive and these are only 100. If i use the eibach kit will these shocks blow out like the tems do in a couple months?If these are no good I guess Ill just get some billsteins.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Well, the Tokico IlluminaII's are the ones desined for the TEMS system and is a direct replacement.
They work great with Eibachs, BUT, they do have a tendency to blow out. IT could be anything that causes that.
Your better choice is Bilsteins or the TRD shocks...

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've got Illumina's with TEMS with stock springs.
They are stiffer than stock, but expensive. And just like Toyota TEMS, you can't feel the difference between the different TEMS settings.
If I did it again, I'd go without TEMS. Ohhhh...in fact I do have some coilovers in the box ready for installation.

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
I have Tokico Illuminas because I decided to keep the TEMS function...but as I see it now...I should have gone without them...Tokico Illumina shocks tend to blow depending on how you drive your car, there is lifetime warranty but exchanging the shocks are a real hassle...

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I am close to selecting new shocks myself so I went to summitracing.com since I knew the sold Tokiko's. I was supprised to find they no longer rep Tokico, usually the only reason summit drops a line is for failure rates. I guess I am going to go with KYB's since I have had them on every vehicle since I was a teen back in the 70's. One thing about KYB's is they last forever.

Rick

Justin727

T-virus infected
suprastanger507mgte said:
Well, the Tokico IlluminaII's are the ones desined for the TEMS system and is a direct replacement.
They work great with Eibachs, BUT, they do have a tendency to blow out. IT could be anything that causes that.
Your better choice is Bilsteins or the TRD shocks...

that is in the past. nothing agianst you because its been told since 03 but that is a thing of the past for the Illumina II's. Had mine since early 05 and they havent blown at all! If anything has high failure rates its KYB. They were horrible in the past. Not only did they blow out, they fell to pieces!! Do they do that much anymore. I dont think they do or I havent heard anything bad about them lately

Red '88T

Apr 6, 2005
Arizona
I have been running Tokico IlluminaII's with Tokico springs without any issues for well over 5 years or approx. 20K miles. For the type of driving I do, I can't complain.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
bluemax said:
And just like Toyota TEMS, you can't feel the difference between the different TEMS settings.

Maybe you're not hitting the correct buttons...:aigo:

I can easily tell the difference when I hit go from Normal -> Sport -> Full Firm.

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Me too.

As far as them blowing, I posted this before and I'll post it again. I believe the issue lies with the worn out bump stops on most mk3's. I blew a few of my Tokicos the first time around. When I took them apart, I found that the stock bump stops were deteriorating and pieces of the hard foam were falling down into the shaft seal. I replaced the bump stops along with the tokicos and used them for 3 years with no issues, including hard weekend romps through the twisties, which can be quite rough in some spots.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
They're working.
You can hear the actuator move. And I've checked the clocking of the actuaor and strut many times.

Can anyone else tell the difference between the TEMS settings?

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
3p141592654 said:
Mine are working great too. I wonder if the people who say they blow are speaking from direct experience, or just passing along second hand "info"?

I spoke from direct experience. Only one of them blew on mine in about 2 weeks. I had to replace that but getting through to get it warrantied was a pain in the ass.

I just put on some TRD 5 way adjustables on my car today. Bloddy awesome shocks I tell ya!. I discovered they are actually made by Tokicos for TRD, but the ride is a lot different than the regular Illumina II's.

Justin727

T-virus infected
I can feel mine change per setting. you'd be suprised all the companies that make shocks/struts that are put on toyota. tokico blue's on the TSS series trucks. Many different bilsteins and so on.
agian never had a problem with my illumina II's and I can feel the difference

Lino

FWD FTL!
Jul 5, 2006
Surrey, BC
bluemax said:
They're working.
You can hear the actuator move. And I've checked the clocking of the actuaor and strut many times.

Can anyone else tell the difference between the TEMS settings?

I can. There is a big diffrence between soft/med/hard.