tires

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
well i've been roling on my toyo t1s' for about 3 years now and my rears are finally showing baldness. Mkiv wheels btw. So i am looking to get some new tires for the rear cause my fronts are still great. size= 275/40/17. i don't know whats good for the 150.00 price range. So what are you guys using and do you like/recommend them? I would love to go back with t1s' but they are discontinued and i didn't like the Yokohama AVS ES 100's in the rain.
i was thinking : Fuzion ZRi or Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is a new tire out.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Incredibly noisy (and I'm running a NUR Spec), poor grip, poor traction.

The real problem is they are just too hard, which was probably done to provide the treadwear rating they have.

They're fine in wet, but then again most new tires are.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
I bought a set of HTR's 3 years ago. They have 12-15k on them and have worn well and evenly. Grip is ok. Noise is not to bad. (I've have had alot worse!) I can't really comment on wet traction, my sup doesn't usually get wet unless it's getting a bath. The price was great and I would probly buy them again.

Now that I think about it, I did get buy another set just because the price was right. They went on the stock 5 spoke off the sup, which went on the wifey's avalon. They have worn "ok", they are summer tires only for that car.
They have also seen alot more miles than the ones on the sup. Noice is not bad on that set either.

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
noah89t said:
well i've been roling on my toyo t1s' for about 3 years now and my rears are finally showing baldness. Mkiv wheels btw. So i am looking to get some new tires for the rear cause my fronts are still great. size= 275/40/17. i don't know whats good for the 150.00 price range. So what are you guys using and do you like/recommend them? I would love to go back with t1s' but they are discontinued and i didn't like the Yokohama AVS ES 100's in the rain.
i was thinking : Fuzion ZRi or Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is a new tire out.

im old school and still like the look and ride of the nitto nt555, the sidewall is nice, square and stiff..... a 275/40/17 would look awesome

noah89t

suprabad said:
I'm having really good luck w/ Kuhmo's, but I drive mostly dry weather. They don't wear great, but they're sticky.
i don't know which kuhmo's you have but i have seen the ecsta supras fall apart on the highway.

mkIIIman089: i also have the NUR spec and i know what you mean about its noise. it has a deep drone to it. but i don't see what that has to do with your tires. and since my toyo's have a tread rating of 200 i think and they lasted for 3 years, i like the idea of getting a little harder tire to last for a while.

i put about 50k on my car a year so for my tires to last as long as they did is great, i just wish they were still in production.:cry:
thanks all

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have had the Toyo Proxes4 tires for about three years now and I think I will be getting another set here soon. They wear great, they are quiet, and are good in wet weather. I actually drive my car in the snow. Sure I get stuck if there is more than an inch, but that is why I have a truck. It's funny because I was thinking of starting tire thread also to see what other's recommend. I will be watching.

noah89t

i was looking at those and the t1r's that toyo has but i didn't know anyone with them, but if they are as good or better than the t1s', then i might be in for them. the price for the proxes4 for 275/40/17 is about 172.00 from tire kingdom. i have a line of credit with tire rectum so that's who i use

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Sorry I can't compare the two. I've never had the t1r's myself, or know anybody that has them, or had them. But they have proven to be a good tire for me. $172.00 seems a bit high. Let me see what I can find here locally. IIRC I paid $600 for all four.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
noah89t said:
mkIIIman089: i also have the NUR spec and i know what you mean about its noise. it has a deep drone to it. but i don't see what that has to do with your tires.
He means he can hear the tire noise over the exhaust.

You can try BFG G-force sports. or the KDW2's

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I have proxes. Grip pretty good on the track and seem to wear decient. You're not going to get a lot of miles on a Z rated tire. They seem to wear in the center if you don't keep the pressures up. Kindof opposite of what you would think. From what I understand with low profile tires if you don't keep enought pressure they will wear the centers.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Get some Mashimoto tires. lol. I keed

I'm running some Hankook Ventus V4 ES tires on the Celica, and so far so good. Pretty grippy tires and quiet. I've noticed even wear on'em thus far. I try to reduce my drive time on wet roads, so I haven't tested the tires out on that type of road surface.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
khumo escta ASX. great cheap tire. good grip, quiet. i have about 4k miles on mine now and they still look like i put them on last week

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
If you want something costing a little less, consider one of the BFG G-force tires. They are very good for the money.

Edit: Duh, Michelin PE2 not available from Tirerack in your wider profile.

Last edited: