Tire Shopping

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Just bought new rims so now Im looking for some good performance tires in 245/40/17 and 275/40/17. The car doesnt see rain or snow so thats not a factor. Just want real good dry weather handling ones that are quiet and decent treadwear.
Narrowed it down to 3 but some of the reviews posted on Disc.Tire buged me:
Falken Ziex ZE-512
Hankook Ventus HRII H405
Fulda Quantum Lites
Im trying to stay arnd the $400 range as well. I just wanted to get some mk3 opinions/experiences on tires before I commit to a set. Thanks

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Btw, running a 245/45/17 in the front and a 275/40/17 in the rear will keep your tire diameters within 1/10th of an inch with most brands/models. A 245/40 in the front is going to be an inch shorter in diameter.

I can't comment on your choices, I don't buy tires in that range. I stick mainly to R-compounds & ultra hp tires.

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
For that price range you CAN NOT BEAT the General Exclaim UHP.
Had it on my lesser HP cars and it's bar none the best tire I've run. Read the reviews and make an educated decision.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kumho SPT's here, but the aren't the quietest tire around (good in the wet though, so it's expected)

Kumho makes some great tires, just don't get Kumho 712's (supras)

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the other tire options, I might actually get the Sumitomo HTR-Z IIs. I would love to get 255s for the front since I do have 17x9s +35 all around but I also have H&R lowering springs on the car.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles said:
Kumho makes some great tires, just don't get Kumho 712's (supras)

If you find them on the shelf somewhere, they are old stock. 712's have been discontinued for some time now.

I've been running Victoracer V700's (link to my review) for several years now, it's a hard tire to beat if you make no compromises on performance.

Last winter running on those was not exactly fun, so this year I'm trying a set of Kumo Ecsta MX (KU15). I just heat cycled them and put a little road on them two weekends ago. Not too shabby for a non-competition tire.

I'll write a review on them once I've had a chance to really put them through their paces. They are a little more expensive and you aren't going to get them for under $500 a set, but so far they seem like they are well worth it and the price beats the hell out of the cost of a set of Michelin Pilot Sports..

Regardless of the outcome, I'll still switch back to the Victoracer's in the spring. After getting accustomed to running r-compound competition tires on a daily basis, you get really spoiled by the handling.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
The Toyo T1-R is a beautiful tire. Well built, good warranty, sticky, 10 ply to reduce sidewall roll. A bit more than $400 though. I settled for the Toyo Proxes4. Great a/t tire with a good design, and still somewhat sticky. They say it is an a/t tire, but don't push your luck on wet roads, and just don't drive if there is any snow on the ground.