Thrust Bearing Install

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
I took all the main caps off to put new bearings and ARP Main Studs. As soon as I put the #4 cap back on the crank gets VERY tight and the thrust bearing toward the flywheel begins to bind with the crank and i see metal shavings. I'm obviously putting the thrust bearings back in wrong even though I'm putting them back in exactly as they were removed. I've checked the TSRM and that's of no help to me. So can someone please give me the 101 on how to install the #4 cap with the thrust bearings. It would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Steve

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BoostLess7mge;1032173 said:
I took all the main caps off to put new bearings and ARP Main Studs. As soon as I put the #4 cap back on the crank gets VERY tight and the thrust bearing toward the flywheel begins to bind with the crank and i see metal shavings. I'm obviously putting the thrust bearings back in wrong even though I'm putting them back in exactly as they were removed. I've checked the TSRM and that's of no help to me. So can someone please give me the 101 on how to install the #4 cap with the thrust bearings. It would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Steve
I think that is the last cap to be tightened. I asked in your other thread if you plastigauged the bearing clearences or checked the play in the thrust washers? And did you get standard size washers or oversize ones? The TSRM gives the thicknesses of both.http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=69

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I think maybe you have them backwards. Did you just pull it and put in new bearings, or did you have it checked at a machine shop to make sure everything is straight? Sounds like you should have...

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
yes I plastigaged the bearings and everything is within spec.

Cuel: u think i have them in back words, have what in backwords? i have the grooves facing out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you haven't changed the Crank/Caps/Bearing size I can't see how it could be too tight.

Even with the thrust bearings in backwards it will still turn it just won't last long if run like that.

Try fitting #4 cap with NO thrust bearings and see if it still locks up.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
IJ: with no thrust bearings its a little bit easier to turn, but still harder than it originally was before i took any of the caps off. with every other cap in, the crank spins just great, its only the #4 cap that makes it tight. bearings, caps and crank have not been changed fyi. I did change the rear main seal and thought this might be why, but even so, why would that cause only the #4 cap to be tight and no other cap??

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
If it's only the #4 cap then I would really check it out, the bearings, the backs of the bearings, and the caps. If it spins a little better without the washers you still have a problem with the cap or bearing. Are they the standard or oversize washers? Do you have end play on the crank?

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
clearances are in spec, bearings are new, everything was perfect and smooth before i took the caps off, i just still dont get why only that cap doesnt want to go back on correctly... they are standard washers, btw.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
for those of you who have done your own motor work, what is the proper way to install the #4 cap with all 4 of the thrust washers. that might give me an idea if im in the wrong or if something on my motor is not correct.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Could be that the ends of the thrust bearings are too tight, making them bow a bit? By backwards, I meant you could have them on the wrong sides, or maybe flipped top for bottom. Just to be sure, you are putting the cap on facing the right direction? When you took it apart, what condition was the bearing in on that journal? Could it be possible the crank is warped a bit on that journal, or that bearing is the wrong size? Look at the hint at the bottom of this page: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=72 Sometimes the bearings are different sizes.

If you can't figure it out, get it to a machine shop. Don't tear it up when you could get it fixed for a couple hundred or less.