Tell me why it won't spark!

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
Old Problem:Bad Battery

Jumped it but then blew ALT fuse so I got a new one of those and a new battery

New Problem: No spark
It turns over but then just cranks and cranks and I pulled the spark plug out and put it on some metal and no arc what else could have gone bad in this electical system between the battery jumping and the sparkplugs

Anybody? please take 5 min. no one answered my last post

nissota

Feb 1, 2006
Jamaica
the1andonly0032 said:

It turns over but then just cranks and cranks and I pulled the spark plug out and put it on some metal and no arc what else could have gone bad in this electical system between the battery jumping and the sparkplugs

Did you check the EFI fuse?

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
the1andonly0032 said:

test your igniter and make sure thats good and if its not i have one i'd be willing to sell you.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
the1andonly0032 said:

Were the jumper cables possibly hooked up backwards for a sec?

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
EFI is good IGN fuse was bad so i replaced it and as soon as i turned the key it blew it out again so that has it narrowed down to my IGN wires and I found out my brother tried to jump my car without me and DID hook them up backwards so yes all these problems are because of that so what fuses relays or wires do you guys think are screwed over if its blowing the IGN fuse and still not sparking

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
the1andonly0032 said:
EFI is good IGN fuse was bad so i replaced it and as soon as i turned the key it blew it out again so that has it narrowed down to my IGN wires and I found out my brother tried to jump my car without me and DID hook them up backwards so yes all these problems are because of that so what fuses relays or wires do you guys think are screwed over if its blowing the IGN fuse and still not sparking

Oh no, that is bad :(
Basically anything that polarity sensitive could be fried, but I will cross my fingers for you.
Main alternator fuse blew so alternator could be bad. Diodes in alternator don't like 100 amp+ reverse polarity spikes!
ECU could be bad :(

Also (you probably already know this) only replace the fuse with the same amp rating, do not go higher then the fuse rating for that spot. I have seen people try bigger fuses thinking the fuse was the problem :nono: but then things start to burn!

I wish you were local because I would bust out the Fluke meter and having it running in no time but to diagnose the problem over the internet is gonna be tough.

I hope your brother learns his (possibly expensive) lesson!

Last edited:

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
I said EFI is good it never blew I did a resistance test on it and it had none how would i go about checking the resistance in the coil pack?

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
I checked all fuses in the engine fuse compartment and they are all good now the ALT was the only one that blew then i checked a few in the drivers kick panel and all were good except for IGN which blows everytime i try to turn it over....by the way why arent I getting a check engine light when it wont turn over? and can i do a diagnostic without a check engine light?

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
sounds to me like ya JUST MIGHT have yourself a dead ecu there fella.

i dont like to be the bringer of bad news. i have yet ot find a way to test a ecu yet. hit up your local junkyards. try to find a diffrent ecu.

i could just be wrong and it could just be bad wiring or a dead alt since your bro might have hooked it up wrong. take the alt off and head to your local vatozone and have it tested.

if the alt is ok, i myself would start testing eveything short of the ecu and see if its bad yet. if it is bad replace it. look up all the tech stuff at the online tsrm. if everything is ok, then......well................

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Before you going buying an ECU for a fuse that blows, make sure you understand why a fuse blows. The current in the circuit is higher than the fuse rating. This is to protect the device in the circuit, which draws less than the fuse.

If you blow the IGN fuse, you have a direct ground somewhere. Take a look at the TSRM wiring section to find what device is powered through that circuit. Like an ignition switch.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Nick M said:
Before you going buying an ECU for a fuse that blows, make sure you understand why a fuse blows.

There is an IGN fuse 7.5a for the alternator and airbag system power. Like I mentioned earlier, the alternator probably took a big hit from reverse voltage. Unplug the black connector on the back of the alternator and see if it is still shorted. There is a ECU-IG fuse 15a that is for everything from abs to pps, cruise, integration relay, etc...

Last edited:

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Page_032.gif

Hmmm. Looks to me like IGN powers the ECU.
ouch.. It looks to power ONLY the ecu and charge light.
Page_049.gif

Here's the charge light diagram, it goes straight back to the alt. Unplug the alt and try to crank it with a new fuse, if it still blows then there is a way to test the ecu.
Page_042.gif

Let us know if unplugging the alt fixes it.
-Jake

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
ok sorry it took so long i went to las vegas for the past week but i just tried to unplug the alt and tried a new fuse and it did the same as before....blew 7.5 amp IGN fuse as soon as i try to turn it over and then the spark plug wont spark after that fuse blows....im thinking a power wire is grounded somewhere in the IGN fuse circut so what wires are in that circut that i could check for a ground and what other clever tricks could i try