Taking off oil return lines

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I'm currently taking off my ct26 to replace with a 57trim. I've got everything unbolted except the oil return lines. Anyone have any good tricks on how to take them off? My buddy recommended taking the oil filter off and going up threw that gap I was just wondering if anyone else had an easier way.

matt

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
NewGen;991484 said:
I'm currently taking off my ct26 to replace with a 57trim. I've got everything unbolted except the oil return lines. Anyone have any good tricks on how to take them off? My buddy recommended taking the oil filter off and going up threw that gap I was just wondering if anyone else had an easier way.

matt

socket and ext and take off at block... whole lot easyer

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I assume you are talking about the turbo side of it. I honestly can't remember how i have done it, but I have removed the turbo multiple times. I believe i've done it by using u-joints and extensions, as well as removing the turbo with the oil lines still attached. If you haven't tried that last one yet, give it a shot.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I did it from underneath and undid it from the turbo first using some joints and extensions. From there just undid the lines on the block w/ the turbo off and downpipe still on. Was'nt too hard, first time is just figuring out how get around the confined space issue.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
small hands, dp unbolted from turbo, 1/4 in drive with a 3" extension from the top, I recommend getting small washers to put back on it just in case.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
s383mmber1;993405 said:
Ive never dealt with the stock feed/return set-up but i knwo my braided ones were a bitch to get off. And 10 times worse to get back on....

yep, Ive had my turbo off probably four or five times now, I dont enjoy it one bit, I get my knuckles tore up pretty easy and its that oil line too. I just swapped to stainless braided, it wasnt too bad but its always that far nut that is a pain to get back on.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
buldozr;994420 said:
yep, Ive had my turbo off probably four or five times now, I dont enjoy it one bit, I get my knuckles tore up pretty easy and its that oil line too. I just swapped to stainless braided, it wasnt too bad but its always that far nut that is a pain to get back on.

Gives me nightmares to this very day ;)

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
The very first time I took my factory turbo off.....that night I had a dream I cut my head off and was walking around with it trying to reattach it.

And it "felt" as heavy as my turbo did......

I swear to God.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Frank - You need to be more careful about what you smoke before you go to bed ;)

j/k - That is a weird one though! New meaning to "Motor Head" :biglaugh: