suspension play

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
is it possible to fix the play myself? (i doubt it, but it's worth a shot), if not- where would be the cheapest place to get it fixed?

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
sorry what can i tell you to better diagnose the problem? i don't know much about that suspension but my friend told me there's play in the wheels

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
what do you mean by play like there is slack in the wheel before it starts to move? or maybe it just feels sloppy when your driving?

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
if your referring to play in the front wheels then its probably ball joints. lowers can be bought at any auto parts store, for uppers you need a replacement control arm:(

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
themadhatter said:
what do you mean by play like there is slack in the wheel before it starts to move? or maybe it just feels sloppy when your driving?
yes, that's exactly how it is, like if i just turned left, and i go to turn right, theres like a gap where the steering wheel doesn't affect the car it's pretty annoying/dangerous

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
that sounds mostly like worn tie rod ends and not as likely, but possibly, racknpinion unit.

Jack the car up, grab the tire and shake it back and forth, like trying to turn left/right rapidly. You can feel the loose clunkiness if stuff is worn out. To check the ball joints you should have the jack or stand under the control arm. This way the weight of the car is still somewhat on the spring and it's tension is not pulling the joints taught. Grab the tire at top and bottom and shake. It's usually easier to have one person shake and one person look at where the play is so it's better diagnosed. Since wheel bearing play could fool you that joints are bad if you can't see where it's moving. I've fixed a lot of bad front ends. Just find what's worn and replace.

Oh, and don't forget to align it if tie rod ends or control arms end up coming off!