Supras getting old and boring

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
boostin89 said:
Ok, well the title says it all. My 89 supra turbo automatic, is getting close to 190k miles, and it has its little problems like every older car I have had some great times with it. So im left at a crossroads...what shoudl i do? If it had less miles and was a 5speed I'd definetly mod it and have some fun, but its not. so should i get a new car or 5speed swap and rebuild? Or something else , any ideas? Thanks -Anthony.

i would fix her :icon_bigg
to buy something else your atleast $10,000 right..
10 g's into the sup and your boredom will disapear very quickly...so will traffic lol..

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
boostin89 said:
Ok, well the title says it all. My 89 supra turbo automatic, is getting close to 190k miles, and it has its little problems like every older car I have had some great times with it. So im left at a crossroads...what shoudl i do? If it had less miles and was a 5speed I'd definetly mod it and have some fun, but its not. so should i get a new car or 5speed swap and rebuild? Or something else , any ideas? Thanks -Anthony.

well fi u dont love it... sell it.
if you want sumthing new, swap it and put in a R154 manual, ndmaybe you'll have more fun??
put on an intake, 3 inch exhaust, upgraded turbo 57 trim CT or ne other turbo, feul support, and tuning capabilities, and maybe you'll haver more fun.
i obviously didnt mention everything its all up to you to use the search button.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
you could always sell it to me and i can tell you how much fun i have with it...... j/k i would keep it and do a 5spd swap.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I agree with oscolivar1... If you're not in love with your Supe, get rid of it and find something you will be happy with....

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I wasn't happy with my Supra for the longest time, because of all of it's problems...but now that I've gotten almost all of the little problems ironed out, and I've started upgrading...I couldn't be happier!

If i were you, I would swap in a 5-Speed, and do all the BPU's.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
From your pic I can see why you are kinda bored. You car doesn't handle that great (stock suspension), doesn't go that fast (stock everything else) and it could look alot better (sawblades:biglaugh: ). I was once exactly at your stage...everything was stock.

You will seriously thank yourself if you build the car. Do your research and do it right the first time. It's the best way to avoid disappointment. Swap in a 5 speed, do all the required maintenance, do the basics of exhaust, intake and bump the boost up. You will smile every day and for less money than another car.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I'm kinda where your at. Only mine is an NA. I am just thinking about buying a turbo 5 spd but you can't ever find one that doesn't have bhg, and if you do, bhg is in your future if it wasn't properly fixed. I'm just waiting it out and doing little things in the meantime.

boostin89

May 6, 2006
california
Sawbladz said:
From your pic I can see why you are kinda bored. You car doesn't handle that great (stock suspension), doesn't go that fast (stock everything else) and it could look alot better (sawblades:biglaugh: ). I was once exactly at your stage...everything was stock.

You will seriously thank yourself if you build the car. Do your research and do it right the first time. It's the best way to avoid disappointment. Swap in a 5 speed, do all the required maintenance, do the basics of exhaust, intake and bump the boost up. You will smile every day and for less money than another car.

Im really glad I posted this. Thanks for the help on my decision process. And ya its stock, The only things I've done to it have been restoration, just trying to keep it clean. It helps to hear all these opinions.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
Fix her up and mod her. Even with the auto she can be quick. just not as engaging to drive.
p505751_1.jpg

See... Boring.
p505751_2.jpg
Not so boring.

boostin89

May 6, 2006
california
Im thinking of a 5spd swap, and mild rebuild. When i built my mustang i had a plan, so im making one for the supra. Tranny swap, Rebuild, Lower/stiffen, Bronzed 5 spokes, Re-Spray Darker Blue, And BPU+ We'll see, but for now thats the basic plan. I cant get any real estimates on the cost of the swap though, so i dunno yet...

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
boostin89 said:
Im thinking of a 5spd swap, and mild rebuild. When i built my mustang i had a plan, so im making one for the supra. Tranny swap, Rebuild, Lower/stiffen, Bronzed 5 spokes, Re-Spray Darker Blue, And BPU+ We'll see, but for now thats the basic plan. I cant get any real estimates on the cost of the swap though, so i dunno yet...

Sounds like you would be happy with a 5 speed swap and some mild mods. Are you board with the performance or with the look? A stock turbo automatic with some nice rims and a little lower will dramatically change the look. You can beef up the performance a bit and keep the auto. I think a 5 speed swap can get a little expensive. There are a lot of little things to change that may eat at your wallet. Are you planning to do the swap yourself or pay a shop to do it?
Post what type of budget you have in mind? That will help everyone advise you. Also are you currently 100% factory stock? No mods at all. I ask this because the first thing everyone will talk about is the HG problem if you mod without dealing with that.
Either way good luck! I vote not to give up on the MK3 just yet.

boostin89

May 6, 2006
california
Ya im 100% stock. and I'd definetly do the work myself. And I'd be running a mhg before id modify. I always like to take care of basics first. This is actually the longest i've had a car and not modded it. Im a little bored with the looks but mainly its my auto tranny thats boring me. Nothing against auto , i just like the control of shifting. As far as budget is concerned, Im hoping to stay around 2k for the 5spd swap, is that realistic? Thanks for all the replies.