Supra question

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
before you ask I'm 15 going on 16 and no I dont have my license. Alright I'm soon going to be getting a car(October my B-day) and I think this is the right place to ask if you think a supra is a good car for a novice tuner, maintence wise and drivering wise. I narrowed down my choice for a car to a dsm or a supra preferably a supra but seeing how they are alittle older they might have more body and performance problems. so what do you think is a supra a car for me? also they are in my price range I do have roughly 5gs to spend on a car and I see many supras in good shape going for 3-4g, correct me ig I'm wrong.

any advice will be helpful even if you say "get the f out of here and go play with yourself" will be helpful, thx ahead of time to any who respond

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
5'gs will buy you a good supra. ( I got my N/A for 1200)

First off, Make sure the engine has maintinence records. Our car's have a problem with blowing head gaskets!

Im assuming your looking for a turbo car?

Parts for supra's are not cheap but can be sourced. Junkyards are your friends

A supra wil treat you only as good as you treat it!

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
thx for the fast response and telling me that parts arent cheap which i can deal with nothing a little dumpster diving cant solve

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Dont just give in to the first car you see. Make sure you are getting a nice one as well. Do some shopping!

Lemme direct you to a place to do some read up! (aside from here!)

www.supras.com

BTW. I bought my Supra when I was 15 as well =]

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
thxs for the site, yeah I've already been looking around:icon_bigg only thing is the nearest ones I can find are in like Florida or South Carolina so it might be a little hard to check them out o well I'll find one when the time is right:icon_bigg

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Please dont take any offense to this, but it seems as if toyota supra's are not the car for you.

THey are expsensive to maintain, and require alot of attention. Thee finiky and the dollar signs can add up VERY fast.

In all seriousness, have you looked at civics or integras? Cheap, reliable and can be made very fast.

-William

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
what ever you do dont go buy a DSM, the have bad crankwalk issues not to mention they're FWD and 4 cyl. so they're a terrible setup if your looking into making it a racer of any type plus you'll find you get alot more respect with a supra than u do w/ a dsm, and last supras are rare/exotic chick magnets:naughty:

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
89supturbo said:
what ever you do dont go buy a DSM, the have bad crankwalk issues not to mention they're FWD and 4 cyl. so they're a terrible setup if your looking into making it a racer of any type plus you'll find you get alot more respect with a supra than u do w/ a dsm, and last supras are rare/exotic chick magnets:naughty:

I didn't know all DSM's were FWD........

And though crank walk may be a bad problem. So are BHG's and rod knock!

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
I'm 16 going on 17 and my supra is my 1st car as well. I bought it for 600 bucks with a hole in the block. I do agree that my supra has put a major dent in my wallet; however, it's worth every penny. I have thought about an integra as my 1st car but, i like the control of a rwd car. If money is an issue for you then go with a DSM preferibly the gsx. You wont have much reliability and maintainance issues. Hop-ups are also pretty cheap for DSMs. If money isnt an issue for you then go with the supra. You will need some mechanical skills, money cant buy that. You can get advice from us tho :icon_bigg . Try not to drive your supra like a douche because our cars are scarce and we don't need to see another totaled MK3.
-Steve
EDIT: Welcome to SF!!!

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
like how much cash are we talking about I mean I'm sure my dad will help me out with the repairs and maintence and what not and Im going to get a job after football season so as long as where not talking like a blackhole where I need to put $500+ in it monthly, then I think Ill be fine but Ill keep looking stuff up

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
89supturbo said:
Wow, what a dumb post. DSMs aren't only FWD; they also came in AWD. The 4-cyl is not a "terrible setup" since the 4G63 motor has a lot of potential and a lot of parts out there. They can make 400+whp on the stock bottom end, and much higher with a proper build-up. And crankwalk does not occur as frequently as people make it out to be.

As for the initial topic at hand, I agree with s383mmber1 that you should be prepared to put a lot of money into the car, both on maintenance and when that modding addiction takes hold. :D Also, although the winter driving thing may not be an issue for you down in Georgia, RWD in the snow when you're learning to drive isn't going to be fun. Actually, RWD in the snow in general kinda sucks.

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
crrider80 said:
I'm 16 going on 17 and my supra is my 1st car as well. I bought it for 600 bucks with a hole in the block. I do agree that my supra has put a major dent in my wallet; however, it's worth every penny. I have thought about an integra as my 1st car but, i like the control of a rwd car. If money is an issue for you then go with a DSM preferibly the gsx. You wont have much reliability and maintainance issues. Hop-ups are also pretty cheap for DSMs. If money isnt an issue for you then go with the supra. You will need some mechanical skills, money cant buy that. You can get advice from us tho :icon_bigg . Try not to drive your supra like a douche because our cars are scarce and we don't need to see another totaled MK3.
-Steve
EDIT: Welcome to SF!!!

my dad has been working on engines for like 20+ years and is a technician so he can help me but if theres something he doesnt know I can always come to you guys/gals like you said

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
B3AST said:
like how much cash are we talking about I mean I'm sure my dad will help me out with the repairs and maintence and what not and Im going to get a job after football season so as long as where not talking like a blackhole where I need to put $500+ in it monthly, then I think Ill be fine but Ill keep looking stuff up

This is VERY open ended! It ALL depends on your goals! You can buy a stock supra in good condition and have it live for ever with a stock Head gasket. Now im sure youlike speed and im sure your not going to want to keep it stock!

Crap add up quick! A good downpipe will set you back 350, a good cat-back's easily 300+

Boost contorllers and SAF-C's could run 300 a peice.

Then here comes the head gasket issue, you can do it your self, if mechanically inclined and get away with it for 400-600 bucks. Have some one else do it and you well over 1200!

And another thing is ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS as you can!!!!!!! Don't be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS!

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
B3AST said:

I've spent around $2100 on my supra so far and its in good running condition. If you build it right and take the right precautions such as doing a HG job, keeping the oil filled, and not just doing any mods willy nilly w/o doing research on what you're doing then you're fine. Also, think about what insurance is gonna cost you. Your parents may not put you under their insurance plan so insurance may cost you around 3g's+ a year. A 16y/o in a turbo 2 seater? Please, your wallet is gonna get pwned. I'm not trying to discourage you, just tellin you what im goin through. SUPRAS ARE BADASS REGARDLESS!!!
-Steve

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Ask us anything. Just make sure to spend every pennys worth you have one a well maintained supra. Make sure the seller can tell you when all past maintinence was done.

I disagree with Will. A supra isnt a car that has to be for a certin someone. If he is prepared to take care of a 20 year old high end GT car, Im all for it!

BTW I pay 70$ a month for insurance for midrange coverage in my NA....

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
For that $2100 do not go for a turbo. You will be in a really bug money pit. Go for a NA if you really want a supra. No real engine problems.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
B3AST said:
my dad has been working on engines for like 20+ years and is a technician so he can help me but if theres something he doesnt know I can always come to you guys/gals like you said

Wow, awesome! The supra shouldn't be too much to handle for you and your pops then as long as you have the space and tools to work on it at home. Keep searching SM & SF all the time tho! GOOD LUCK!
-Steve

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
BorHor said:
For that $2100 do not go for a turbo. You will be in a really bug money pit. Go for a NA if you really want a supra. No real engine problems.

Are you refering to me? My supra is a turbo. I bought it for 600 and spent 750 on a shortblock from lagged. N/A's can still have BHGs and rod knock...
-Steve

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
crrider80 said:
Are you refering to me? My supra is a turbo. I bought it for 600 and spent 750 on a shortblock from lagged. N/A's can still have BHGs and rod knock...
-Steve
Oh my bad I thought he posted that Sorry. Ya NA's can have the same problems but not as common as turbo's are.