supra noob questions

scottyboy8341

Dec 1, 2007
Texas
I just bought an 89 turbo supra and had a few questions.

First, the car is mostly stock except a cat-back exhaust. What is the max boost I can run like this? I know stock is about 6.8 psi.

Second, is the 7MG a good engine for power? I'm not looking for 800 rwhp or anything like that. Just enough to run mid-11's or so and be daily drivable.

That's it for now. Thanx for y'alls help.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
noticed you were from texas, welcome. A bunch of people are probably going to bash you for asking that, you might want to search/troll the forums for a little while and get used to the atmosphere. Good luck and have fun with the new ride.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
scottyboy8341 said:
yeah i tried searching but coudn't really find anything.
Right now, if you just picked it up, in my opinion, the first thing I would do is go to the parts store, get you some new valve cover gaskets(seals), a small tube of black rtv sealant, borrow or buy a clicking style torque wrench and a heavy duty(important) hex driver set(metric), make sure you have the right adapter for the torque wrench, you will want to pop the valve covers off and retorque the headbolts per the TSRM(stands for toyota service repair manual), now instead of torquing them to 55 or so of what they call for, probably want to torque them to 75 in the sequence shown. That will prevent premature head gasket failure. Check the cooling system, you might want to do a good flush with new coolant. Check condition of all hoses and change the oil for shits and grins. When you get done with all that, message me back for the fun stuff.
Later,
Gary

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
scottyboy8341 said:
Just enough to run mid-11's or so and be daily drivable.

You need a lot of money to run 11's. I put in nearly $1500 so far in my supra and it only runs low 13's on street tires.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
If you want to run the 1/4 as fast as possible as cheap as possible:

Torque down your head bolts.
Perform some routine MX like valve adjustment and oil change, etc. Dont be a cheap bastard and kill your car.

Put in a n/a differential (LSD)
Quality boost controller (AVCR has a gauge on it.....)
CT turbo upgrade
Full 3" exhaust.
W/B o2 sensor
SAFC

Get some wider tires on the back.
and possibly a boost cut controller or FCD once you figure out how to tune it.

This will probably cost about 1500 when all said and done but your car will be FAST

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
buldozr said:
Right now, if you just picked it up, in my opinion, the first thing I would do is go to the parts store, get you some new valve cover gaskets(seals), a small tube of black rtv sealant, borrow or buy a clicking style torque wrench and a heavy duty(important) hex driver set(metric), make sure you have the right adapter for the torque wrench, you will want to pop the valve covers off and retorque the headbolts per the TSRM(stands for toyota service repair manual), now instead of torquing them to 55 or so of what they call for, probably want to torque them to 75 in the sequence shown. That will prevent premature head gasket failure. Check the cooling system, you might want to do a good flush with new coolant. Check condition of all hoses and change the oil for shits and grins.

Wow, I just picked up my car too. That's just about the same list of stuff I have planned to do on my car first.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
cool chuck said:
Wow, I just picked up my car too. That's just about the same list of stuff I have planned to do on my car first.

Thats the exactly what I did, its worked for me so far(I missed replace rack and pinion, but that is details), while your there, might as well slap some NGK cheapie copper plugs in, makes sure to have a close gap(.028-.031"), nice wires if you got the change left over. Since its an old car, I like to keep a bag of tools, gloves, jumper cables, torque wrench, jack, four way and a full headgasket kit in the car at all times, just to be safe :biglaugh:

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
honestly i would try to build an 11 second car with out a full engine build if its an old engine with miles on the the head gasket s got to be about shot and the rings arent probly gonna hold up to say 425 hp to do the 11s you want to