strange vibration at low speed

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
When I turn at low speed my car starts vibrating, and makes kind of a humming sound. As the speed increases and I take a turn it isn't noticeable.
It feels to me like it is coming from the rear of the car, but it is hard to tell. This only happens when I am turning, it does not do it while driving straight. Anybody have ideas?

bluefalcon1

Jun 14, 2005
Houston, tx
What kind of gear oil are you running in the Diff? If it is just a plain 90wt gear oil, the LSD will have a vibration at low speeds while turning. The clutch packs are the problem. I had the same problem when I first got my car. SOGI had a tech tip. They recomended FORD LSD gear oil + the additive that ford sells. I put that in the diff and everything was better.

Be careful of ppl trying to sell you on putting Redline MT90 in the Diff. Our cars require a GL5 fluid. Last time I read the bottle of Redline it had a rateing of only GL4. The difference is the extreme pressure additive. GL4 fluids will work but will cause excessive wear. Same goes for the transmission. Read the TSRM.

Demianu27

Dec 22, 2005
haha, usa
does your car make any sound when you're parked (while the car is running) and you turn the steering wheel to the left or right?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I believe the wheel bearings are sealed. Cant think of the correct word but if they are messed up then your whole rear axle must be fubar... right?

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
well, Thanks for the input about gear oil, I was seriously considering redline gear oils. But now I'll rethink that. The diff oil hasn't been changed since I bought the car, same with tranny oil.

In response to demianu27, by ball joints are going bad and the steering pops if i am sitting still and turn lock to lock. But I believe this other problem to be unrelated to the ball joints.

It really feels like it is coming from the rear of the car, but I could be wrong, so maybe I should start with some new diff and tranny oil, and change the balljoints. Any other suggestions?

Oh and if it helps...I have two 18's on the front and two 16's on the back. Could this cause anything nasty?