Steering went light all of a sudden--no PPS

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
My steering went light, seems we lost our PPS-(progressive power steering)
Speedometer is still working so don't think it is the speed sensor. Did the ohm check on solenoid valve and it passed. Although the 12 volt test didn't seem to make the solenoid click. Didn't check the PPS ecu well cause its behind the glove box and really didn't feel like it, probably tomorrow.

My questions are:

1. Is the solenoid valve the likely culprit?

2. If so, has anyone ever changed one, pointers maybe?

Much thanks again

Wayne

supramaze

wizard
Sep 29, 2006
Sweden
yeah, but speedometer is a mechanical type and uses a cable from gearbox. the rear speed sensor (vss) at the gearbox serves the ecu, abs and pps with speed info (atleast on 91's) check wiring diagrams

hope it helps :)

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
supramaze said:
yeah, but speedometer is a mechanical type and uses a cable from gearbox. the rear speed sensor (vss) at the gearbox serves the ecu, abs and pps with speed info (atleast on 91's) check wiring diagrams

hope it helps :)

On page SR-90 in the trsm, the speed sensor is behind the speedo. But I do know there is another one on the rear of the tranny from when I did the auto to 5spd swap. The cruise is working as it should and cancelling when pushing clutch or brake, tems working correctly also. Thinking maybe the solenoid valve failed, the one on the rack itself. Will try to get another one.

Thanks

Wayne