sr20 240 vs 1jz Supra

686supra

SupraBoarder
Jul 22, 2006
Parksville, BC, Canada
I am looking into buying a car in the next year or so, i can t decide between a sr20 240sx and a 1jz Supra, What do you guys think, i know you guys all love you supras, and i do to but i just want your opinions and shit

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
not exacly going to get an unbiased opinion here...lol

Try a Nissan or 240 site and I bet you get the exact opposite responce.

instead of giving my opinion I will give you back a couple questions. What do you want to do with it? What are your future goals for the car. What kind of styling do you like.

and finally, how do you feel about being shunned, riddiculed, and ostracized by this community! :naughty: LOL, j/k

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
686supra said:
I am looking into buying a car in the next year or so, i can t decide between a sr20 240sx and a 1jz Supra, What do you guys think, i know you guys all love you supras, and i do to but i just want your opinions and shit

my opinion...cou cant buy either one of these cars, they don't exsist over here(if we're talkin mk3 here)

you can however build one or the other....or are you checkbook engineering one of these?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
what do you want the car for?

a 240 is a fun car to drive.. its light and nimble where as the supra isn't.. but i wouldn't like much over 350whp in a 240..

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Hey, where on the Island are you going to find/build up a 240/1J? I know there are a few places in vancouver that import engines. I asked on their price for a 7M and it was about 800 bucks, and 950 for an SR20. So the prices there are comparable. A mk3 and a 240 are not so similar in price - at least in in BC. 240s go for around 3500-7000. Where as mk3s that aren't rat bagged rang up to 10. Then again, if you're going to be doing the swap yourself, find a rolling chasis for 1G and go to town.

I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend, and what the car is going to be for. The supra will be able to hold bigger #'s...besides they're cooler too :)

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well I love supra's but am against your 240 for a different reason, COST!!!!!! A 1jz swap costs but you can also buy a mk3 with one if you look long enough. The sr20 swap is similar in cost and makes a lot less power with similar mods, aka you get more for your money off a 1jz supra.
'
dude spent 20k and got 320rwhp on a 240, the 1jz supra here has 564 with only 13k in mods and swap cost

I

itr206

240's are lighter. But I know plenty of people with RB's and SR's that ditch them for 1j's and 2j's. So what does that tell you about the JZ rep.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
depends on your budget and determination. i don't recommend anyone buy a supra unless you don't mind the car breaking down 2-3x per year and spending a couple grand a year in emergency repairs. these are not reliable cars. if you treat it well and baby it, then maybe you will get lucky. but if it's your only car and it has to run reliably consider something else :)

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
trucker said:
my opinion...cou cant buy either one of these cars, they don't exsist over here(if we're talkin mk3 here)

you can however build one or the other....or are you checkbook engineering one of these?

it seems he is canadian, so yea, you can buy em here. One of the perks of being canadian. i vote 1jz supra, i love mine!

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I have had a 1JZ MKIII, and I currently have a 89 240sx coupe. The 240 would
be WAY cheaper to do, and do right, and has MUCH better aftermarket support
and is easier to troubleshoot, lighter, gets better gas mileage, more fun to drive.

The list goes on, the 1JZ MKIII is bad-ass, but the 240 is just a nice simple
awesome car.

if you have deep pockets... 1JZ in the 240 *drooollll****

87Superdupra

May 28, 2006
North Bay Cali
If Drifting really is your anti-drug and your serious about the sport it's gotta be a 240 with an SR20. I've seen plenty of supras gettin way sideways but the 240s are lighter (chassis and engine wise). Plus a 240 with an sr swap is pretty badass right out of the box IMO. It is a little hard for me to sit in one, I am 6'7''. And there are parts galore for those things. Just my $.02

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Almost the exact same question was asked on a 240 forum I am also a member too. A lot of the responses were for the 240 specifically because it was a nissan site. More people here own supras, so they are going to say supras are better.

Each has their pros and cons...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Do you really want my shit? I mean... thats a little bizarre to be asking on a supra forum don't you think?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My 1JZ MKIII gets sideways guite easily :) Of coruse with the momentum, it stays sideways :(

I would say go with the Supra mainly because I see too many 240s on the roads, especially with SR20s. I don't see a lot of MKIII supras around, even less with a 1JZ in it. It's a unique car to say the least. Plus would say that the car itself is a little more comfortable, but that's just my opinion.