Smoked tail lights?

drivinginstyle

May 6, 2006
Bellingham, WA
Anyone ever smoke their own tails? I couldn't find anyone who has done it.

jetta4smtail.jpg

Let me know.
Thanks

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
UGH... vDubs. Anyway, i think they use window tint spray for scale model cars or airplanes. I think it can be found in hobby shops.
-Steve

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah, I was the one who did those tails on Jonathons car. I got the idea from a writeup on SF...forget who wrote it. Anyways, I used black plastic paint ON THE INSIDE of the lens to create a different light pattern (was looking for a more modern look for the old 2 piece tail set). You could certainly use a smoke tint in the same way and smoke the whole lens or only part of it.

Painting on the inside requires a delicate operation of taking the tails apart without cracking the lenses, but I could give ya some tips if ya decide to do it. Also painting the inside leaves the lenses looking like a dark red or even burgundy look, but still leaves the lenses looking factory on the outside. (meaning they dont look "painted" just different)

I chose the double circle look with three stripes for the turns..but painting on the inside leaves you with only your imagination to stop you from doing something to your liking. I played with three horizontal stripes, and even some stipes at 45 degree angles (like this --> \ \ \ ) but decided on a more traditional look.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Not to mention if you take proper time to do it, wetsand, clearcoat, wetsand, wetsand, they will look amazing, and not flat and purple like if you don't clearcoat.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
some people say it looks good... i think it looks great.
p332737_1.jpg

this is the only one i can find of my old car
p332737_2.jpg

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
i think the best way is to have a body shop do it-tell them to mix up a batch of 10% black, 90% clear, and then go at it. The more coats, the darker the result. Should run way less than $100.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Randy's taillights look amazing, I wanna tint mine a bit. Just to get them a bit closer to the JDM ones and so my center section matches :(

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Why, do you have a JDM center piece Loki?
Or are you talking about the center piece and how it's typically brighter red? because that annoys the piss out of me.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
supra90turbo said:
Why, do you have a JDM center piece Loki?
Or are you talking about the center piece and how it's typically brighter red? because that annoys the piss out of me.

I'm talking about the brighter center, it's annoying :(