Simple Targa Seal fix?

Well, i have now driven a targa for about 3 weeks. It is winter and it rains a lot. I have noticed in hard rain, sometimes i get a few drips from the corner of my targa, where the window meets the targa. I have tried to put the window as far as possible. Anyone know of an easy fix for this? It happens in the exact same place on the passanger side. Any ideas?

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
63251-14061 Front targa seal
63252-14032 Rear targa seal:
62383-14052 Pass side targa seal
62384-14052 Driver side targa seal

All 4 seals needed. I think I paid about $180 shipped for all 4 from Champion Toyota.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
It kinda depends where your leak is coming from. If the water is building up in the plastic trim piece and then pouring on your lap when you hit the brakes then the seal in question isnt actually the window seal and is in fact the sealing point between the metal portion of your roof and the rain gutter. the SOGI site (Tech section) has a write-up on how to "try" to fix that. I personally never had any luck making that work. If your leak is between the side window and the rain gutter seal I strongly advise getting the new seals.

If the leak is coming from the front seal you could do what I did for the first winter I had a targa. I went and bought some butyl rubber sealer from an auto body supply house. Its a very soft and sticky rubber that never hardens. It usually comes on a roll. Simply cut a small piece, roll it out flat and lay it on the front seal where you think the leak is coming from. Put your roof back on and tighten it up, then leave it on all winter and that should keep you dry. It will still be removable when the weather dries back up.

In the end if you want it done right and can save for new seals do it. I eventually bought new seals for mine from champion and they arent that expensive. They are in fact cheaper than replacing moldy carpet and rusted floor pans.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have found that replacing the seals alone, won't fix most leak issues. You have to replace the weatherproof sealnt which is between the targa itself and the gutter/rail.

Follow the tech tip and you should be fine. If some other dufus put the sealant between the seal and the gutter/rail, then the old seal will rip apart when pulling it off. So it's best to have the replacements on hand.

theWeezL said:
It kinda depends where your leak is coming from. If the water is building up in the plastic trim piece and then pouring on your lap when you hit the brakes then the seal in question isnt actually the window seal and is in fact the sealing point between the metal portion of your roof and the rain gutter. the SOGI site (Tech section) has a write-up on how to "try" to fix that. I personally never had any luck making that work. If your leak is between the side window and the rain gutter seal I strongly advise getting the new seals.

If the leak is coming from the front seal you could do what I did for the first winter I had a targa. I went and bought some butyl rubber sealer from an auto body supply house. Its a very soft and sticky rubber that never hardens. It usually comes on a roll. Simply cut a small piece, roll it out flat and lay it on the front seal where you think the leak is coming from. Put your roof back on and tighten it up, then leave it on all winter and that should keep you dry. It will still be removable when the weather dries back up.

In the end if you want it done right and can save for new seals do it. I eventually bought new seals for mine from champion and they arent that expensive. They are in fact cheaper than replacing moldy carpet and rusted floor pans.

Yeah, i am not quite sure where it comes from. I have only dealt with it once so far. It only happens when i drive and it is only a few drips over a 10 minute drive. It is hard to troubleshoot when it is kinda random. But thanks for the feedback. This car should be all original, it only has 100k miles on her.