Seagate/Maxtor suck in big way

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Well all my friggin info that was stored on my external harddrive is now gone. Spoke with seagate rep/said my drive had failed and I was f...d. Great new technology we have.

laptop is 14 months old and failed.:3d_frown:

Anyway all I can do is let other people know so that they don't totally rely on this new tech.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Use Seagate's 5 year warranty to replace it.

Hard drives die. Big deal. You did have an off site backup of important data, right?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
heh, I had a Maxtor drive fail... no backups of the data or anything. It was really strange problem. I can't remember the details of the issue, but for some reason I thought the only problem was the circuit board, not anything internal.

I searched ebay for about a month before I found the same drive, same specs, everything. (It was a pretty old drive)

I bought it for about 40 bucks, swapped the circuit board, and holy shit that drive fired right up again. I was pretty excited about that :)

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Justin;902657 said:
heh, I had a Maxtor drive fail... no backups of the data or anything. It was really strange problem. I can't remember the details of the issue, but for some reason I thought the only problem was the circuit board, not anything internal.

I searched ebay for about a month before I found the same drive, same specs, everything. (It was a pretty old drive)

I bought it for about 40 bucks, swapped the circuit board, and holy shit that drive fired right up again. I was pretty excited about that :)

the local pc place keeps the old drive for same thing.

no worries just keep movin on.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I've never had a harddrive fail. I have however had a jumpdrive (which contained 2 months of freaking coding for my senior design project!!!) fail on me though :madfawk:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Over 15 years I have had very few drives fail on me.
1 was a BRAND new WD 80gb drive.
1 was less than a year old Maxtor 60gb drive that started ticking and failing to read/write. They replaced it with one that had a higher capacity.
1 was a Maxtor 850mb drive that failed of old age - 5+ years.
I have a 100mb Seagate around here somewhere that still works.
I am running 2 80gb Seagates in RAID-0. Been over a year - we'll see how they last.
I've had many drives, and fairly good luck over these past 15 years. I don't have anything bad to say about Seagate. Maxtor and WD are luck of the draw.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
warranty ended 9/17/07:3d_frown:

anyways saved some stuff to disc. Here's a couple good pictures of trip from Vegas to MS. I think the 4th one down was a good kill suped up srt stayed up with me till 140 then bye bye.
p903881_1.jpg

p903881_2.jpg

p903881_3.jpg

p903881_4.jpg

p903881_5.jpg

p903881_6.jpg