rust removal & dent fixes?

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Hello everyone,

When i bought my Supra i guess i didn't inspect it carefully enough.. i mean, for it's age(89) there were minor rust spots here & there.. but i was cleaning up the car recently & decided to remove the spare tire in back and i was shocked.. it was basically rust city under that thing! no holes anywhere or anything, but alot of rust under there & is there anything i can do personally to try and get rid of the rust(if so how/what/where to get the stuff from)?.. if i have to take it somewhere to be 'treated', is that costly to do?

also, there are a few minor dents on the car. 2 on the driver's side & 1 on the passenger side as well as a few dents on the hood. i tried getting one of those suction things from Kragen & that helped a little bit but the dents are still there. what's the best way to take care of this problem?

thanks!

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Wow, your car sounds like mine, only mine did have a hole in the spare.
What i did was put this stuff called rust converter that you brush on, on the rust. I could only find this stuff at auto zone. This really does help decently but also what i did was get some anti-rust paint and then i fiberglassed over it.
The rust in the spare is probally coming from a leak in the hatch seal. Go take your rear interrior pannels off and go thru a car wash. I found a leak in my seal this way. I also understand that the light seals go bad too.

Dents are a tough one. It really depends how big it is and what kind.
I am planning on fixing my dents when and if i repaint my car because i want to put some body filler over some things.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
rust is easy, take a wire brush and scrub it down until all the rust is gone. then spray paint over the bare metal to protect it from more rust. if it leaves a hole then you will need to patch the hole with bondo, or if its not in a visable place, with a peice of metal. rust is just metal oxidizing, think of it like a metal virus. you have to remove all the rust or it will spread. the paint is like a flu shot, it protects the metal from the rust causing agents(salt on the roads is the worst). when you buy an old car it should always be from the south. we hardly ever salt our roads.