running rich....

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
If I'm running rich (my MAF sensor is bad) will that hurt my motor a lot, or is it just not healthy.

p.s. I'm getting a new one soon, but its my DD and I need to know if I shouldn't drive it till I get the new sensor...

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
how do you know you're running rich? wideband readings?
our cars run pretty rich stock. as rich as 10.0:1 a/f under boost.

to rich will wash the cylinders and contaminate your oil.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
isnms said:
how do you know you're running rich? wideband readings?
our cars run pretty rich stock. as rich as 10.0:1 a/f under boost.

to rich will wash the cylinders and contaminate your oil.

i've heard about the washing the cylinders that it does. i've also heard that it causes premature wear and tear on the rings. you have to re-ring sooner. or is that just a myth?

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
I know I'm running rich cuz my MAF sensor is bad. so I'm not gettting the air that I should be. Its hickuping cuz of the lack of sufficient air. I don't have exact numbers, I can smell the extra gas on my exhaust tho.

Running just a few days on rich a/f won't do that much right?

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My friend ran a MR2 super-rich while trying to figure out the tuning.

The fuel washed past the rings and diluted the oil into a super-thin tan colored mess that smelled like kerosene and felt like PAM when you rubbed it on your fingers. The motor blew up due to a lack of lubrication.

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
That wouldnt happen in just a few days would it? and I dont think its super-rich. I just know that it's rich due to the bad MAF sensor

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
I know the MAF is bad cuz i had it proffesionally diagnosed. and doesnt the MAF contorl the flow of air? so if its not working, it wouldn't let the proper amount in.

BigSeksi

Apr 29, 2006
corona
chandley said:
I know the MAF is bad cuz i had it proffesionally diagnosed. and doesnt the MAF contorl the flow of air? so if its not working, it wouldn't let the proper amount in.

MAF controls gas last I remember. It senses the amount of incoming air and adjusts accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong.